Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Feature request: Allow to choose luks2 encryption when installing.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ENCRYPTION] Feature request: Allow to choose luks2 encryption when installing.

Hi. I have 4Kn sector size HDD on which I want to install linux. Unfortunately, encryption that is avaible in installer is luks1, which doesn't support 4Kn sectors. It works, yet downgrades performance and might cause problems, disk corruption etc. Luks2 supports 4Kn and is just better than luks1. I know it defaults to argon2 which is not supported by GRUB, but maybe just use luks2 with pbkdf2, and when GRUB will support it users can switch to argon2. Other solution would be to simply allow to choose between luks1 and luks2 encryption.

That is going to be something that probably Ubuntu themselves have to implement in the installer, unfortunately. So that is who you would have to send a feature request to.
    They don't seem to update the KDE/Qt version of the now now very old Ubiquity installer, and I don't see any info on if/when Ubuntu's new installer will be available on Ubuntu's official variants, or if it will support this to begin with.

As this sort of thing is not a common desktop type of scenario, I doubt that this will be a GUI option for the purposefully simple, less-complex installer.

Comment

Working...
    X