Can not upgrade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can not upgrade

I can not make distro upgrade. Is there a problem or problem is on my side?
    Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Upgrade from what version?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

From 21.10 latest.
      It says "no new release found"
      Kubuntu User # 26056<br />Gigabyte GA-MA770-UD3 AMD Athlon II X2 250 4Gb Ram 1x40Gb SSd Hdd +500gb Home&nbsp; Nvidia Gf8500Gt <br />AcerAspireOne A150

Comment

https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-22-04-lts-released/

Note the message in blue:

From 21.10, there may a delay of a few hrs to days between the official release announcements and the Ubuntu Release Team enabling upgrades.
        If you want to force it, try using the "-d" option in place of the "-m" one.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-22-04-lts-released/

Note the message in blue:

If you want to force it, try using the "-d" option in place of the "-m" one.
          Thank you very much. Don't want to wait until end of july I will use -m .
          Last edited by attila_66; Apr 22, 2022, 08:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by attila_66 View Post
            Thank you very much. Don't want to wait until end of july I will use -m .
            That part is only related to LTS-to-LTS upgrades.
            Ubuntu still usually waits for some length of time before flipping the upgrade switch on non-LTS.
            it gives some time for the impatient users to discover any upgrade bugs missed during the dev cycle, before officially enabling the upgrade notification

Comment

For Information to other (impatient) people.
              Upgraded AMD system without any problems.

Comment

@attilla_66 what is the syntax i should use in terminal to force an ugrade from 21.10 to new LTS?

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman View Post
                  @attilla_66 what is the syntax i should use in terminal to force an ugrade from 21.10 to new LTS?
                  My link above shows what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by attila_66 View Post
                    I can not make distro upgrade. Is there a problem or problem is on my side?
                    That's the error I made, I did not do a proper Kubuntu upgrade but followed the Upgrade from 20.04 to Ubuntu 22.04 link presented and ended up with a Ubuntu system, totally useless and no logic what so ever.
                    So now I'm doing a fresh install to 22.04 from a USB stick.
                    Having a recent back up helps

Comment

The install I wrote about in April went without issues. It was on a Thinkpad T430s, the only extra was to remove snap so I could continue to use the backed up Firefox.

Now I wanted to upgrade my Thinkpad W520 which is triple boot, Win7, Linux Neon and Kubuntu 20.04, the last is my main distro.
                      Because there were a few annoyances with 20.04 I wanted to do a fresh install (Everything was backed up) using the same USB flash drive I used earlier.

But apparently there was something in the BIOS that refused to recognise this drive, mucking around in the BIOS made it possible to boot this Kubuntu 22.04 drive.
                      The mucking around was setting the boot from Legacy to Both Legacy and UEFI.
                      First there was the request to make an UEFI partition which I did.
                      But the installation always ended with an error
                      grub-install /dev/sda failed
                      I tried several times more and noticed UEFI was no longer mentioned but the final error remained.

Next I reinstalled 20.04 and did an upgrade via apt, this ended in a system without WIFI and no proper video driver, I was not able to install them.

Because by Monday I need the computer for work I eventually reinstalled 20.04 which worked without a hitch.
                      Just a bit of a nuisance to reinstall things like MS Teams, Zoom, Softmaker Office and Veracrypt.

The installation was to the two partitions previously used so with Manual Partitioning selected.

Does anyone have suggestions?
                      I am thinking of putting in a new SSD and let it partition by itself.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                        But apparently there was something in the BIOS that refused to recognise this drive, mucking around in the BIOS made it possible to boot this Kubuntu 22.04 drive.
                        The mucking around was setting the boot from Legacy to Both Legacy and UEFI.
                        That suggests there's BIOS/MBR and UEFI confusion. Win 7 suggests the drive is MBR, but you should be sure about that.

If an installer boots in BIOS mode it cannot do a UEFI install, and vice versa. It's crucial to boot the USB in the right mode, and at some point in the last few years Kubuntu isos stopped supporting BIOS/MBR mode. If the drive is MBR, that would explain why 20.04 has no trouble but first you couldn't get 22.04 to boot, and second after allowing the UEFI boot the install failed.

If you want to install a recent Kubuntu on BIOS/MBR, I've read that you can use Ventoy. (Once you've got Ventoy set up on a USB, things get simpler, one does an ordinary copy of .iso files to the drive.) But it would again be crucial to boot Ventoy in the right mode.
                        Regards, John Little

Comment

You are right, this drive is based on MBR, probably a requirement to keep WIN7.
                          As said, I'll get an new SSD and see if that works better. (Without Windows)

As a PS, now I've read up on Ventoy I'm also gong to give it a try.
                          Thanks!
                          Last edited by Teunis; May 15, 2023, 02:52 PM.

Comment

I installed on a new SSD and so far most things work, including removing snap and installing Firefox from a .deb.
                            Thanks jlittle!

Comment

Working...
                            X