Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

samba drive and http (gmail and other)

I have a problem with smb drive
    The drive is mounted via fstab and is also available via Dolphin rw works.
    But if I want to "drag" a file from the drive into a browser window, e.g. Gmail or Whatsapp, I get the message "This file has a size of 0 bytes and will therefore not be appended."

This worked before so it must work

my fsatb entry:
    //192.xxx.xx.x/home /media/home cifs rw,user,credentials=/home/xxx/.smbcredentials 0 0

cat /etc/*release

DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
    DISTRIB_RELEASE=22.04.2
    DISTRIB_CODENAME=jammy
    DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="TUXEDO OS 2"
    NAME="TUXEDO OS"
    VERSION="2"
    ID=tuxedo
    ID_LIKE="ubuntu debian"
    PRETTY_NAME="TUXEDO OS 2"
    VERSION_ID="22.04"​

Where specifically are you dragging from?
    The mounted directory in Dolphin (/media/home/ directly), or from directories accessed from the Network section on Dolphin's sidebar?

If the latter, it won't work - Many to most applications are not aware of the 'virtual' filesystem used for that. The 0 byte aspect makers me think that this is the most likely case, but it could be other things as well, for sure.

Comment

OK, the problem is gone. just found out because it has nothing to do with linux it was the browser chrome with firefox it works​

Comment

thx claydoh for your answer. I was able to find the problem. I'm still looking for a solution for Chrome. I'll leave the post open for now, maybe I'll find the solution even though it's not a kubuntu problem.​

Comment

I continued testing.
          Unfortunately I haven't had any success yet, it seems to be a kubuntu problem.

Can someone test whether they can simply drag an image from the smb mount into an empty browser window (chrome).
          I get the error message "Access denied"
          It works in firefox.

I had it tested with Windows and it worked.

My chrome
          version:
          119.0.6045.123 (Official Build) unknown (64-bit)​

Comment

small update
            I can no longer update muon.

error is:
            http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu/dists/<lucid,/Release
            404 Not Found [IP: 185.125.190.80 80]​

Comment

Originally posted by Tripods View Post
              http://ppa.launchpad.net/chromium-daily/ppa/ubuntu/dists/&lt;lucid,/Release
              I don't know how or why you added this, but Lucid here means *buntu 10.04, which of course is no longer is supported, and was released nearly 14 years ago.
              The 404 error is just like any web 404 error: files not found.
              Oh, yup: she's dead, Jim
              You will want to remove that entry.

Chrome not accepting drag and drop from dolphin might not be Plasma issue at all, this image came directly from my smb via drag and drop in Chrome.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	logo.png
Views:	66
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	675621
              Mine is manually mounted, no credentials or other options. Just a quick share I set up for this test, as I use NFS mostly

Comment

Thank you, claydoh, for your response.

I used a source entry from an outdated forum. (I had a few beers back then.)

Now the update is working again.

I was also able to solve the old problem. To the best of my understanding, it was something completely new to me. Chromium was updated through package sources as it should be, but Chrome was not. I thought both updates happened simultaneously.

I have now refreshed both package sources, and it's working now.

As is often the case, the error is not with the system but with the user.

Comment

Working...
                X