This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to smb share through Dolphin but can mount using smbclient

I have a desktop and laptop I setup both with the latest Kubuntu. Also have a Macbook Pro running MacOS X 10.13.6 along with a Synology NAS. Both the Macbook Pro and Synology have smb shares setup on them. The two Kubuntu computers also have a share folder setup on it that I can connect to just fine from the Macbook Pro.

On both the Kubuntu computers I can see the Synology and Macbook in the network section of Dolphin but if I try to connect to them I get the error, "The file or folder smb://macbook-pro.local/ does not exist" Same error for the synology though with it being Synology.local instead. If I fire up terminal and try connecting using smbclient with the path to the actual shared folder and specify my username it will connect after asking me for the password. For reference I am using this command to connect to the synology, "smbclient //Synology.local.homes -U administrator" and it works just fine.

I can connect through dolphin from each of the Kubuntu computers to the other one just not my other devices. What do I need to do to allow me to connect to Macbook Pro and Synology shares through Dolphin?

Okay just stumbled on a page where someone said they had to go into Settings->Network Settings-> Window Shares and set a username and password. Thought that would be odd as i have different username and password for the different devices. Put in the username and password for my Synology in there, and it connected to the shares in dolphin just fine. So then I went to try and connect to the Macbook Pro and it prompted me for a username and password which it never did before. Filled that info out and it worked.

Comment

Actually I can say Dolphin has always handled that but I found out today I had similar issues. It stated that it couldn't locate the Share though the device is pingable and can connect to it by other means. I think this and your issue may be a problem between Dolphin and SAMBA. Not sure, but what it seems like at the moment. This occurred for me after recent updates.

Comment

Update for me: Seems that Dolphin can no longer look across the VPN I use for the remote connection. Works fine if there are local shares, just the ones across the VPN. Same results if done by name and IP. Both ping fine in Konsole so I know it's not those systems or the VPN itself. Dolphin is the common factor.

Comment

The SMB Protocol that Dolphin is using vs what the VPN server is expecting/requiring?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Well up until recent it has been fine so I'm not too sure. Really haven't dug into into it. Setting the UN/PW as others ran into did not work but does locally.

Comment

So, I tried on a system that had KDE Neon 5.25, fully up to date and it works fine there and SAMBA config is exact same as my main Kubuntu one. Not sure what the issue is.

Oh well.

Comment

Working...
              X