Suddenly, printer won't print!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly, printer won't print!

This relatively new HP 2742e printer has been doing fine, until just now. What am I missing here?

I set it up (quite awhile ago) wirelessly, through Printer Settings/CUPS, no problems.

Now I try to print a page, I can see it in the Print Queue, Processing, then I get:
    No destination host supplied by cups-browsed for [the printer] -- is cups-browsed running?

First time seeing such a message. Printer has been working fine.

I've forgotten how to check for cups-browsed (it is installed, so Muon tells me).

Edit: I'm not using Hplip, btw.
    Last edited by Qqmike; Apr 02, 2024, 05:30 PM.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Update: It started printing again, normally.
    Not sure why! I unplugged the printer for awhile, then plugged it in, then turned it On.
    Tried to print a page, got this: Can not start printer.
    Looked at Settings > Printers.
    I saw TWO entries for my printer -- same entries!
    I clicked on the one saying "Default," tried to print that same page, and it printed!
    WTH? Makes no sense.
    I sure don't want to do this every time I need to print.
    Have to give this some thought ...
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Arghhh I having printer woes myself. Almost hadda go out and pay to print some stuff

It isn't Linux. for sure, as it is ALL my devices, including Windows and Android. I did manage to get a page last night on my ancient laptop, but today? nada on 4 connections.
      "the printer may not exist or is unavailable" then trying to connect again, and looping back.

I couldn't find a USB cable for the printer, either, until just about 30 mins ago, I realized that my UPS uses one

And to think I almost wasted another $40 or $50 on a printer I didn't need.

I suspect its a network/router issue, though I haven't changed a thing

Comment

Yeah ...

Another extreme measure would be to remove the printer, shut it down, turn it ON again, then re-install it (wirelessly, preferably, with some of the newer HPs).
        Maybe some garbage (settings slip) gets into the system somewhere, when this happens.

Comment

Two (or more) “same” printers can be the result of other functions of said printer; multifunction printers.
          Windows no longer obstructs my view.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007.
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Two (or more) “same” printers can be the result of other functions of said printer; multifunction printers.
            In addition to that possibility, I read and confirmed that CUPS may generate duplicates -- maybe something to do with cups-browsed.

Problem is, when you go to look at the current print queue, it's not always clear which duplicate is doing the current printing, even though one of them may be marked "Default printer."

Comment

My HP Deskjet 3755 also shows two printers, but with two different drivers. It is NOT physically connected with a USB cable. I booted the laptop this morning, checked System settings->printers and found one (not marked default) with an IPPEverywhere driver referenced. When I turned the printer on, it connected wirelessly, and a second instance showed up (as default) with the driverless "driver". The second instance is the only one that actually does any printing, plus it actually has a longer "name". dpkg shows that the standard hplip 3.21.12+dfsg0-1 package is installed, and htop does not show it running.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

jglem, interesting. I'll have to pay closer attention to sort this out. Just for fun! I do also see things like you describe in your post. Thanks.

Comment

You're welcome
                  The next brick house on the left
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Hello Claydoh, sorry to her you feel the need for a UPS!
                    Over here we have a 5 figure uptime plus I use a laptop that has it's own battery.

About printers not working, I have seen a similar problem with my Xerox Laser printer, it shows a wired and a wifi connection, I have to select the right one, the wifi one is apparently not (always) remembered as default.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      Hello Claydoh, sorry to her you feel the need for a UPS!
                      Outages are rare, but often enough that it is worth the fairly small expense for home computer use - hurricanes, thunderstorms etc.

Printers can show up more than once even if they are wifi-only, as it may be advertising different protocols. Mine always seem to do so.

Comment

Jeez ...
                        Happened again (see Post 1).
                        Spent 90 minutes troubleshooting and trying to get the printer going. It had been printing just fine for weeks.
                        Tried to play with localhost:631, also Settings > Printers in Kubuntu, turned the printer off, unplugged it, tried again, tried the WPS button on my router, etc. & everything.
                        Finally, in Kubuntu, Settings > Printers, I removed both the listed printers (two printers listed, both listings were for the same physical printer, but using different drivers).
                        As I removed them, one by one, with the printer turned on, each printer listed came back again -- was listed again, the same way.
                        BUT, this time, neither printer listing was checked off as the Default printer.
                        I chose the IPP everywhere printer listing and marked it as the Default.
                        Tried to print the same 3-page document,
                        and it printed instantly.
                        SOLVED again.
                        Boy, pretty clear that some bad noise gets into the firmware of the printer or something like that is going on.
                        (HP printer 2742e, btw.)
                        -- Thanks, Mike, for your persistence and patience.
                        -- No problem, pal ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                          That is what seems to work best, since there aren't actual drivers involved
                          Hopefully it stays working.
                          At least it isn't the "can't print on Tuesdays" bug :D

I did find the cause of my own problem. It was an unexpected firmware update on the router. I was under the impression it was no longer receiving updates, as is common for most home devices after a while.
                          I had also for some reason had automatic updating turned on.
                          Whelp, I got one that actually added a new feature or two (?!!?) but also put the printer into its separate IoT network doohickey for some reason. Which I don't use.
                          An easy fix, once I noticed.

Comment

The Tuesday bug is a ha-ha LOL!
                            And that is how it has been, all along, but quit working.
                            So today, I deleted both printers and started over marking one of then (the IPP everywhere listing) as Default (again!).
                            It worked.
                            The other (seemingly identical) printer listing must have gotten dirty somehow.
                            Glad you fixed yours.
                            Reminds me, I was thinking of upgrading my router at some point ...

Comment

Working...
                            X