Printer duplicates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Printer duplicates

When I add a printer to my system, whether I do it through cups or settings, it shows up twice, but only one of the listings works. Why is that?

Is it an MFP (Multifunction Printer)?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Probably the autodiscovery tools in Linux (Ahavi) is finding one, then there is the one you have added yourself.
      I might surmise this is a wireless or network printer?

Why one doesn't work may just be a conflict since they are identical, and are set to use the same ports, etc.

It also could be that the printer may announce itself using multiple protocols, if wireless/network connected.

Some have settings accessible by going to the device's IP address in a web browser. An example another example

Many to most recent network printers don't need to use drivers to function properly, as they support standard protocols for 'driverless' use.

My 20 dollar Xmas special wifi printer/scanner , for example:
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230821_193800-1.png
Views:	81
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	673468

I have not installed any drivers (though they are available) or physically set this up, it just appeared at some point after I connected it via WiFi.
      The scanner Just Works, too, though that can depend on the specific scanner device, which is separate from the printer in Linux.

I do imagine some "fancy" hardware may offer features that require drivers or software to access.

Comment

Working...
      X