My laptop can't detect the external monitor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] My laptop can't detect the external monitor

My laptop couldn't detect the external display, the display system connected to the HDMI port couldn't detect it, and trying multiple versions of the driver couldn't fix it.
    You have tried to replace the driver downloaded from the NVIDIA website: Nvia-Linux-x86_64-535.54.03.run
    ubuntu-drivers devices listed drivers:
    Nvia-driver-535-open (the system will not boot),
    nvidia-driver-525

I also executed the xrandr command, but only the primary monitor is detected.​
    I also tried to replace the external monitor, data cable, can not solve.

But using the type-c adapter can normally use the external display, has anyone encountered this problem, how should I solve the problem now?

For additional information, the extended monitor can be used normally in the windows operating system, but the extended monitor cannot be used normally when using ubuntu22.04 or kubuntu22.04

My notebook information is as follows:​

HP ZBook Power 15.6 inch G9 Mobile Workstation PC

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.19.0-46-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 20 × 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i7-12700H
    Memory: 30.6 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: NVIDIA RTX A2000 8GB Laptop GPU/PCIe/SSE2​
    Last edited by resns; Jul 06, 2023, 07:39 PM.

What make/model is your external monitor?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I vaguely remember that there was an Nvidia driver issue with HDMI…

So which Nvidia drivers from where did you try out? On their website you can see that both 530 and 535 support your laptop's NVIDIA RTX A2000 GPU - I could not find any info about 525, though.

And only the 535-open is listed in ubuntu-drivers devices?

Did you cleanly de-install the Nvidia drivers before testing another version?
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        What make/model is your external monitor?
        My external monitor is DELL s2721qs

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
          I vaguely remember that there was an Nvidia driver issue with HDMI…

So which Nvidia drivers from where did you try out? On their website you can see that both 530 and 535 support your laptop's NVIDIA RTX A2000 GPU - I could not find any info about 525, though.

And only the 535-open is listed in ubuntu-drivers devices?

Did you cleanly de-install the Nvidia drivers before testing another version?

I switched between 4 versions of nvidia graphics drivers

nvidia-driver-525: HDMI is unavailable. From update-manager
          nvidia-driver-535-open: The system cannot be started. From update-manager
          nvidia-driver-535: HDMI is unavailable. From update-manager
          NVIDIA - Linux - x86_64-535.54.03. Run: cannot use HDMI, downloaded from https://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx.​

The drivers circled in red in the picture below have all been tried

Last edited by resns; Jul 06, 2023, 12:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by resns View Post
            DELL s2721qs
            FHD, QHD, or 4K UHD
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Have you tried toggling the fn-keys for enabling/disabling external monitor? Are there any useful settings for this in Nvidia Settings?

Also, this doc seems to indicate that your model may only support multiple monitors via the internal intel iGPU, if I am reading the models correctly, and is relevant to your specific year and model.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                FHD, QHD, or 4K UHD
                4K UHD (2160p) 3840 x 2160 @ 60 Hz

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                  Have you tried toggling the fn-keys for enabling/disabling external monitor? Are there any useful settings for this in Nvidia Settings?

Also, this doc seems to indicate that your model may only support multiple monitors via the internal intel iGPU, if I am reading the models correctly, and is relevant to your specific year and model.
                  I have tried to configure the display using fn-keys and the display will say that the signal is not detected.
                  The document you provided requires a docking station, which I do not have here.​

Comment

Working...
                  X