How do I convert legacy to uefi?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do I convert legacy to uefi?

Even though I set the bios mode to uefi before installing it keeps defaulting to legacy mode so I have to press f2 and manually reset to uefi. There seems to be plenty of apps in Windows to convert but haven't found any linux versions. Is there a way to convert in place so I don't have reinstall again? Thanks.
    Last edited by oshunluvr; Jun 28, 2023, 06:39 AM.

Originally posted by jacatone View Post
    Even though I set the bios mode to uefi before installing it keeps defaulting to legacy mode so I have to press f2 and manually reset to uefi.
    This seems more an issue with your bios, not the hard drive.
    What computer, make and model?
    What is F2 used for, in your case?

What you are saying, if I understand it correctly:
    1. your computer powers on/boots up.
    2. no idea what happens next
    3. You need to hit f2, in order to enter your BIOS settings, and change its boot mode from Legacy to EFI/UEFI
    4. then you can boot into Kubuntu?
    5. On the next boot, you need to do this again

If this is the case, then it is NOT your drive needing to be converted, as it already is formatted correctly (GPT)
    Is this happening after a normal reboot, or after a shutdown?
    I wonder if the CMOS battery is dead, maybe? it is the main way BIOS settings revert back to a stock setting on their own.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jun 17, 2023, 01:58 PM.

Comment

I wonder if the CMOS battery is dead, maybe?
      Good idea.
      If it does sometimes boot from UEFI setting, then the Kubuntu OS was installed in UEFI mode.
      Settings in BIOS not sticking => what you said, Claydoh (assuming 'Save changes & exit' was selected in BIOS)
      Last edited by Qqmike; Jun 17, 2023, 08:01 PM.
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Do you have CSM support option? If yes, disable it.
        "CSM BIOS is something that allows you to boot in legacy BIOS mode on a UEFI system"

Comment

Originally posted by gnomek View Post
          Do you have CSM support option? If yes, disable it.
          "CSM BIOS is something that allows you to boot in legacy BIOS mode on a UEFI system"
          Agree, absolutely. Ever since I read Qqmike's dissertations on UEFI, I've always enabled UEFI, disabled CSM, and killed the Windows-defaulted settings in the BIOS settings (Safe mode, RAID, etc.). Saved the settings and went on to installing Kubuntu. GPT and UEFI, 100%.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Working...
          X