This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question about Dual HDMI ports

Back a few weeks I picked up a brand new Intel NUC 11, BNUC11TNHi7, and it is advertised to have Dual HDMI and Dual Thunderbolt 4 ports, and they say that, with a special cable, you can do two monitors off of one HDMI port. However, when I went google diving, it said this is only possible with Thunderbolt 4, and not HDMI. The end goal here is I want to swap this one in as my main computer and run 3 monitors off of it just as advertised. What's the best way for me to do that as I looked around, but could only find dual HDMI adapters that literally mirrored the same output across two monitors, instead of doing separate monitor and desktop setups. I'm running a set of two Asus VE278Q 27" Full HD monitors, and a VP278QG 27". The second one sits off to the side on its own Nuc as the main system can't do triple monitors (just duals, yeah, it sucks), so I'm doing a sort of modified version of this with two systems, three monitors, and barrier KVM. I'd like to move everything together as one system with this new Nuc. Any ideas, including cables and such, on how to make this happen?

I briefly looked at the specifications: "Dual HDMI 2.0b w/HDMI CEC, Dual DP 1.4a via Type C" and when I look at a picture of the ports I count four.

Shouldn't that be enough to connect 3 displays - or did I miss something? (In the technical specifications Intel says it is possible to connect up to 4 displays. In my understanding that means 4 different displays with different pictures - and why shouldn't that be possible?)
    You should simply need three cables for the three monitors then - if you leave out the KVM and the old computer.

I guess Plasma 5.27 could be better suited for such a task than Plasma 5.24, though.
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; May 02, 2023, 11:24 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
      it is advertised to have Dual HDMI and Dual Thunderbolt 4 ports
      Either ask/contact the advertiser or Intel about this capability. My .
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Okay, I was thinking of two displays on one HDMI port. But if I'm misunderstanding it, and that should really be that one of the displays needs to be the Thunderbolt to HDMI, then I guess it already has what I'm after. I mean, I'm not a hardware guy, so if I misunderstood that, then I'm fine as I think I have a Thunderbolt to HDMI cable somewhere.

Comment

Working...
        X