This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't update/install Lenovo specific firmwares through Discover

On two different Thinkpads (T480 and X270) I have 3 updates pending install but hitting "update all" does nothing. It seems to refresh the page and nothing happens. I can't seem to install these 3 updates.

You may only view thumbnails in this gallery. This gallery has 1 photos.

Very likely they aren't released yet, but identified as upgradable.

Open a konsole and type: sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade
    If as I suspect the packages are held back, you'll see a message to that effect. This is part of the new package release paradigm.

See https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...been-kept-back
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 25, 2023, 06:08 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What does fwupdmgr get-updates in Konsole say?

Did you try sudo fwupdmgr update? And sometimes you have to install them one by one to work…
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 25, 2023, 08:13 PM.
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Schwarzer Kater This seems to have done the trick. I never even knew this command existed, nor have I ever had this problem before, and I've been using Kubuntu for years on nothing but Thinkpads. Interesting that Discover shows the updates but gives no indication how to actually update it. Thanks!

Comment

It worked without problems on my T480, but my X270 is now stuck on a black screen and I can't force restart it by holding down the power button. Wonderful...

Comment

Did the firmware install completely?
            Then disconnect the X270 from power, take out the battery, wait for 10 minutes, put the battery back in, connect to power and try again.
            And perhaps post any relevant output from Konsole
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 26, 2023, 05:52 AM.
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Did the firmware install completely?
              Then disconnect the X270 from power, take out the battery, wait for 10 minutes, put the battery back in, connect to power and try again.
              And perhaps post any relevant output from Konsole
              After updating the computer rebooted to finish updates, it went through the update loading page during boot, then after it was a black screen, and holding the power button did nothing. So I removed the battery and unplugged so the internal battery could drain. I got back home from work today and it was totally dead, so i reinserted the external battery, plugged power back in, and it booted up no problem.

Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
              X