X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB to HDMI adaptater

Hi everyone,
    I can't manage to use USB to HDMI adaptater.
    When I plug it, the message « VGA Display Adaptater Analog Stereo » appears
    Nevertheless, nothing is happening on my second screen and in the display configuration menu, only my laptop screen is shown.
    Any idea ?
    Thanks in advance.
    Tibo
    Kubuntu 22.04 on a LENOVO ideapad gaming 3​

​Bonjour à tous,
    Je ne parviens pas à faire fonction mon adaptateur USB vers HDMI.
    Lorsque je le branche j'ai le message suivant qui apparait à l'écran : « VGA Display Adaptater Analog Stereo »
    Par contre il ne se passe rien sur mon deuxième écran et dans le menu configuration de l'affichage, je n'ai que mon écran de portable qui apparait.
    Merci d'avance si vous avez une idée de manipulation à effectuer.
    Tibo
    Kubuntu 22.04 sur LENOVO ideapad gaming 3​

The first thing that comes to mind: try Plasma 5.27 (a lot of code has been rewritten for multi-monitor support in 5.27).
    For this the options are limited to Kubuntu 22.10 with Kubuntu Backports enabled or Kubuntu 23.04 at present.

Perhaps boot from a Kubuntu 23.04 live USB first and try if it works there.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
      Perhaps boot from a Kubuntu 23.04 live USB first and try if it works there.
      I will try this, thanks

Comment

The quality of such adapters varies, and of HDMI cables. (The last time I had problems the cause was a fancy gamer cable.) It might help to have the screen on and plugged in when the laptop is booted. A couple of years ago my work laptop had problems but fortunately the same problems occurred in Windows, so the "dock" was replaced. It, too, developed problems (the display doing Max Headroom) when it got hot.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Well, I tried with Kubuntu 23.04 and it was the same issue.

So I bought a better adapter (startech.com) and it is working fine on my first laptop running with Kubuntu 20.04 after having installed displaylink driver : adapter detected like a graphic card
          I tried it on my other laptop running with kubuntu 23.04 and still nothing. I installed the displaylink drivers but when connecting my adpter, it is not detected like a graphic card and then the screnn does not appear in the configuration.

Do you have an Idea ? What can I check on the working computer to have the other work ?

Comment

Did you read the ArchWiki page about DisplayLink? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink
            "DisplayLink devices on Linux still only have experimental support. While some people have had success in using them, it is generally not an easy process and not guaranteed to work. […]"

This does not sound too promising, but perhaps you will find something there that helps…
            Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
            Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
            install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Did you read the ArchWiki page about DisplayLink? https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/DisplayLink
              Thx
              Well, I saw something about compatibility with nvidia driver but I don't understand what to do or check.
              I saw on muon that I am using an additional driver :
              Code:
              NVIDIA Corporation : GA170M[Geforce RTX 3050 Ti Mobile]
              Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-525(propretary, tested)
              Any idea ?

Comment

Working...
              X