This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming issues with NVIDIA hardware

If this is in the wrong section, please move it. Wasn't sure which section to post this in.

Here's some system info:

CPU: Intel i9 9900k
    RAM: 32GB Dual-Channel
    Display: GeForce RTX-2080 SUPER
    Kubuntu: 22.04
    KDE Plasma: 5.24.7
    KDE Framework: 5.92.0
    QT: 5.15.3
    Kernel: 5.15.0-56-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics: X11
    Driver: nvidia-driver-515

I've had this problem with some games (at least as far back as Kubuntu 18.04), where runaway framerates cause decent performance hits. These hits often result in noticeable performance drops in said games, and on the system as a whole, when they're running, as well as screen tearing (in some cases).

To try to get around this issue, I used multiple methods to attempt to limit framerates to 60FPS (My displays only support that high), but doing so causes other issues...

When using anything outside of in-game settings to limit FPS, any desktop notifications cause horrendously bad stuttering at the moment they come in, as well as bad input lag on some games.

Ways I've tried outside in-game settings are KDE's compositor, and libstrangle. Compositor limited FPS in only some cases. libstrangle did it every time. Both caused the notification stuttering, and input lag. I haven't found a the way to enable vsync, and triple buffering via nvidia xserver settings, or I'd try that.

The hope is that I can find a way to limit FPS on games that do not have FPS limits in their settings, while avoiding the problems the above two methods have consistently caused. I get why higher framerates are desirable to some people, but I don't see a reason to eat up all that power and resources, when none of my displays supports higher than 60fps.

I've been slowly migrating from Windows 10 to linux, and this is one of the issues that's hampering my progress as an avid gamer. I would love to get most, if not all of the migration complete, before windows 10's EOL, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance​

You could play around with the nVidia settings. I usually set PowerMizer to 'Prefer Maximum Performance' before I run XPlane and I have Vsync (Sync to Vblank) turned off but 'Force Full Composition Pipeline' turned on. It seems to work for me on my ancient GTX 1050 ti 4Gb card!
    Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
      […] When using anything outside of in-game settings to limit FPS, any desktop notifications cause horrendously bad stuttering at the moment they come in, as well as bad input lag on some games. […]​
      Perhaps this idea is "too simple" - but did you try setting the notifcations settings to "do not disturb" (and/or tweak the according settings in System Settings) during gaming…?
      Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
      Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

setting DnD does stop the notification based stutters, but I want them, especially if the game is windowed. I use the notifications for Discord (cuz no in-game overlay in linux), my email, and a few other things. It's also not just notifications. sorry, i was not clear that this is any popup, or appearance/disappearance of windows as well.

I kinda suspect the nvidia drivers.

as far as settings, i keep 'Force full composition' turned on. I'm not in linux right this moment, but will be sometime tomorrow. I'll specify my other settings then.

Comment

Also update the nVidia drivers, they are currently at 525...
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Drivers have been updated
            sync to vblank: on
            Allow flipping: on
            Image settings: Quality
            Use conformant texture clamping: on
            Enable graphics API visual indicaor: off
            Power Mizer: Auto

I also added
            Code:
            Options "TripleBuffer" "on"
            to my xorg.conf file.

with these nvidia settings, i still get runaway framerates, if the in-game settings can't limit them.​

Comment

Working...
            X