Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SSD size "changed"

Hello,

the size of my root partition (SSD hard drive) has suddenly no longer been displayed correctly:

Dolphin --> right-click --> Properties (from "/"): size is not displayed. If you select "calculate", the size "128 TiB" is determined. But the SSD only has 215 GiB. The values on the bottom of the properties-box are displayed correctly.

I tried:
    • Upgrading to 22.04
    • Changing the partition sizes (the SSD contains the "/" and the "swap" and re-installing Kubuntu 22.04.

What can be the reason?​

It seems using this method to see file space is including /proc, which is a virtual file system. Not sure if this is from the OS reporting this info differently, or Plasma reading the info differently than it did

Aha:
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=298133 needs to be poked perhaps
    Last edited by claydoh; Oct 26, 2022, 11:30 AM.

Comment

@claydoh: Thank you very much! And - sorry for the late reply.

The question arises - can "/proc" be reset?

What is strange is that the problem described remained AFTER another OS was installed and AFTER the partition sizes were changed (a little less memory for "/", a little more for "swap").

I'll probably live with this "problem", because actually it isn't one. Otherwise the system works very well.

Note: The error occurred after I had moved large amounts of data and only about 7 GiB remained free on the system-SSD.​

Comment

/proc is virtual, so it doesn't exist until booting, so iother OS install and partitioning won't effect the 'fake' sizing.

As you can see, I did 'bump' the bug, but not sure if it needs a new report started or not, until someone replies.

Comment

Does not appear to be an issue here on 22.10. Specifically, the size of / is displayed, but, clicking on Calculate results in the reported 128.0 TiB. My internal HDD is 500 GiB (Manufacturer spec).

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20221103_114736.png
Views:	105
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	666500
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Yeah, my 128gb boot drive is being reported as 132TiB. I wish.

Comment

@claydoh:
              I found out about "/proc" from the links you recommended.

@Snowhog:
              Same as me.

@ShadYoung:
              Maybe the 128 TiB is the sum of all the layers that the SSD has available in its lifetime?

I will no longer do anything about this. My data is safe on other hard drives.
              If the system disk (with the "128 TiB") breaks, I simply replace it.
              Or: I just take the 128 TiB .

Comment

Working...
              X