Laptop keyboard and touchpad unresponsive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop keyboard and touchpad unresponsive

The keyboard and touch pad on my laptop stopped working, I am uncertain what change could have caused this (my best guess is a driver issue or something but your guess is as good as mine). I am still able to use and external keyboard and mouse but it's the laptop itself that doesn't work.

My laptop is an HP Envy x360 2in1 (Touchscreen also still works).

I am new to Linux so I am not sure what steps to take in order to troubleshoot this problem.

A simple first step would be to try to interrupt the boot to get in to the firmware settings (which used to be called the BIOS settings). There may not be much you can type in, but moving around with arrow keys would demonstrate that at least they work. I don't know the key to press on an HP Envy, but it's usually something like F2, F8, or F12.

A second step would be to boot from a live USB. If the keyboard works then there's something wrong in Kubuntu, if not it's likely a hardware problem.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks for the response,

I got into the bios setting and I managed to navagate through the menus just fine with the keyboard.

However when I boot from a USB the keyboard and trackpad still do not work.​

Comment

Working...
      X