Integrated Graphics to Dedicated Graphics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Integrated Graphics to Dedicated Graphics

If I have a desktop with a Ryzen 5700G (APU with integrated graphics) and a dedicated card (AMD too in this case) is there a UI tool in Plasma that lets me jump from one to the other without the need for a reboot or going to the BIOS?

No, not in Plasma itself.
    There may be third party tools, but I have not noticed any.
    There will be commandline tools, and Prime may work on AMD systems, though this is more for notebook systems, where the graphics are sharing outputs.

On a desktop with a separate GPUs and thus separate outputs, you'd have to switch video cables around, so really, you could leave both of them enabled all the time if you wanted, and just swap them as desired.
    yeah, or switch inputs on the monitor of course

On laptops that share outputs vga-switcheroo can work as well
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Hy...vga_switcheroo

if your system is requiring you to reboot to the bios to switch between the two video cards, then you might have a hardware limitation.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      if your system is requiring you to reboot to the bios...
      I haven't built the system yet, I'm just shopping around for ideas.
      Yes, having two physical outputs will probably mean a physical solution to switch between GPUs. Not practical.

Comment

Yes, you might be able to use both at the same time; Typically in this scenario the OBG is for bios updates or other debugging if the DGC is not responding and you are only using a single display.

However, a Ryzen APU is not OBG. It is a real graphics chip beside the CPU die. So, you should be able to do a dual monitor arrangement by attaching a monitor on each output and run both simultaneously with the DGC set to primary. This will allow you to run games in one screen on the faster DGC and the the other screen will run a normal desktop as a secondary display. This is what I do with 2 Nvidia cards (one low end and one high end).

Then you will want to configure it to run OpenCL to utilize both GPUs (and CPU) for compute applications like Blender, Davinci Resolve, or any other application that uses OpenCL (OCL is like Cuda). When you install the drivers, you will want to ensure the packages for compute are also installed. Should be automatic, but check anyway. This should be done whether or not you use dual monitors with it.

Comment

Working...
        X