This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinkpad Carbon X1 display drivers

Sometimes the screen gets kinda sluggish, and I wonder if I have the right driver installed for this laptop. Does the Kubuntu installer automatically install the right drivers? How can I check and if necessary update it?

it sort of depends on the hardware. Unless you have an Nvidia graphics card, you already have the best drivers, usually, as these are built into the kernel and Mesa.

If you have NVIDIA (what GPU do you have?), and did not choose to install those drivers during the installation, then you can look at the Driver Manager. They hide this in the Software Sources tool in Discover's Settings area.

Can you describe what you mean by "sluggish"?
    You might try changing Plasma's animation speed a little.

Comment

No NVIDIA, just the standard whatever used in X1 Carbon laptops, Intel I think? lsmod mentions video i915.

Most of what I do is in Firefox, and when I scroll it sometimes freeze for a short moment, not even a second but long enough that it gives the feeling of sluggishness.

I just changed from W10 to Linux on this laptop, and in W10/chrome I never experienced this.

Currently Plasma animation is at the default setting, about middle. What way should i change it, slower or faster? Where is it even used, never saw any animation in Plasma.

Comment

Ok. then it is more a Firefox issue than a Plasma one, perhaps. Does Chrome act the same way at all?
        Intel graphics, though not powerful, are usually extremely solid in Linux.

Firefox has been known to have stutters and scrolling issues for some people, sometimes. There are many potential tweaks for this, though.
        There are a lot of potential tweaks out there, and I can't say which ones are valid, overall, but if investigating and researching, stick to the more recent reports, say within a year or so.
        Often suggestions involve enabling hardware acceleration, but one overlooked option for laptops, particularly if yours is touchscreen and convertible, is to give a Wayland session a try. I have seen people say that this fixes FF scrolling issues, and of course adds great screen rotation and better touch support.
        Some may suggest switching from the Snap version of FF to the Deb version, though I doubt this will have any effect on your specific and fairly common issue.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Firefox has been known to have stutters and scrolling issues for some people, sometimes.
          I can concur with that. Firefox scrolls 'poorly' on my HP Pavilion g7-1070us (Intel Core i3). It is Firefox, not the system.

Well, this morning (Oct 6), just now having launched Firefox (Version 105.0.2 (64-bit)), the scrolling is smooth.
          Last edited by Snowhog; Oct 06, 2022, 07:31 AM.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Firefox has been known to have stutters and scrolling issues for some people, sometimes.
            That's interesting, but a bummer as my main objective was to get away from corporate, privacy disrespecting OS and software. I will try Chromium and perhaps Vivaldi. I don't suppose there are any other realistic options that support extensions like UO etc.

It's not a touchscreen, just a standard Laptop, but I'll try enabling hardware acceleration and see if that changes anything.

Comment

Just to show how broad the issue can be, as well as the pitential solutions

https://www.google.com/search?client...loom-srp.0.0l5

I am sure something will work but there is potential for trial and error.

Probably smooth scrolling options are a good first place to start.

As a long time firefox user myself i can't say I've had this sort if problem myself, at least not recently. I don't have an x86 laptop at the moment but have had lenovo models with similar enough graphics at least. This is also why i have suggested trying a Wayland session as well. Ive only recently sold my Lenovo laptop but have been using Wayland on intel and AMD graphics for well over a year and have seen a few people mention this fixing their FF scrolling issues.

But there seem to be many potential FF tweaks and settings that might work, too.

Comment

Working...
              X