This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB notice on boot

I see the patch to suppress the "empty device name" boot up bug has been deployed, and that message is gone. However one remains that seems to be new. If I have my USB Bluetooth adapter plugged in and enabled, I get a message during boot as follows:

#######
    [ 6.439861] Bluetooth: hc10: CSR: Failed to suspend the device for our Barrot 8041s02 receive-issue workaround
    [ 6.937043]
    #######

If I remove the bluetooth dongle, I get:

#######
    [ 6.xxxxxx]
    #######

with nothing else. The value between the [ ] has been 6.xxxxxx to 7.xxxxxx - it seems to change every boot. I have rebooted the computer with no usb devices installed at all but still get the empty bracketed message. It seems one of the [ 6.xxxxx] values corresponds to a USB error... the second might just be an empty fragment?

This is with an MSI AMD X470 mobo, with 6 onboard USB 2.0 ports, 8 onboard USB 3.1 Gen 1 ports, and 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 ports, all mixed between front and rear. I believe this motherboard has two USB controllers, 1 AMD, and 1 ASMedia.

I run two powered external hubs, one USB2, the other USB3.

My normal USB boot load is:

1 Hi-Gain USB Wifi Adapter (3.0 hub)
    1 Elecom wireless Trackball (2.0 hub)
    1 Wacom graphics tablet (2.0 hub)
    1 MAudio FTP Pro audio interface (2.0 hub)
    1 Keyboard (direct 2.0)
    1 Cambridge Silicon Bluetooth adapter
    1 VIA 5 in 1 card reader (direct 3.1G2)
    1 Thrustmaster Flight Stick (3.0 hub) (optional)
    1 Xbox 360 controller. (3.0 hub) (optional)
    1 powered 4 port 2.0 hub (direct 2.0)
    1 powered 4 1/2 port 3.1 hub (direct 3.1G1 - 1 port is charging only)

I also use 3 external HDD/SDD drives, 1 USB DVD drive, 4 thumbnail drives of various sizes, a dozen or so different SD cards, and phone. I use the hubs as my case does not support front panel (its 20 years old) and there is too much RF for radio based devices like WiFi, Bluetooth, and mouse at the rear (and only 2 available usb 2.0 ports for 4 devices).

Anyway, is anybody else getting such messages? The computer works fine... there are no problems... just the odd messages remain.
    Last edited by ShadYoung; Sep 29, 2022, 05:17 PM.

So, this is just a message, and the device is working properly?
    The message seems to be device-specific, so it probably only affects those using the same chipset as you have.

I am going to guess your Bt dongle is related to devices like the one from this kernel development mailing list post about fake chips, or at least chips faking, mis-reporting, or not following specs correctly.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2022/3/5/32

If you look at he output of lsusb, you should be able to find the device ID for the Bluetooth dongle, and maybe we can use that info find out if there is a way to edit the device quirk, or possible a driver module option that might clear the message?
    it seems that support for these particular beasties, if yours is one of them, is fairly recent.

Last edited by claydoh; Sep 29, 2022, 02:43 PM. Reason: linky-dinky

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      I am going to guess your Bt dongle is related to devices like the one from this kernel development mailing list post about fake chips, or at least chips faking, mis-reporting, or not following specs correctly.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2022/3/5/32

Yep.. bang on the money. You da man Clay. The exact product talked about in the post... however I got mine from Staples, not Ali Express. :-D It is actually a somewhat quirky little dongle, even in windows... Seems to drop out and needs to be removed and reinserted on occasion. Latency is wow bad. I think its an older version though, seems mine is Rev 2, and the one listed in the post is Rev 4. Note however my is properly labeled "dongle" not "dangle" (you know you are a geek when you find that as funny as I did lol). If I do not turn it off via software, its actually pretty reliable. Its when I turn it off that it sometimes becomes a bit flakey.

shad@Soprano:~$ lsusb -vv -d 0a12:0001

Bus 005 Device 013: ID 0a12:0001 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
      Couldn't open device, some information will be missing
      Device Descriptor:
      bLength 18
      bDescriptorType 1
      bcdUSB 1.10
      bDeviceClass 224 Wireless
      bDeviceSubClass 1 Radio Frequency
      bDeviceProtocol 1 Bluetooth
      bMaxPacketSize0 16
      idVendor 0x0a12 Cambridge Silicon Radio, Ltd
      idProduct 0x0001 Bluetooth Dongle (HCI mode)
      bcdDevice 1.34
      iManufacturer 0
      iProduct 0
      iSerial 0
      bNumConfigurations 1

Comment

Working...
      X