This topic has been answered.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[ENCRYPTION] Bitlocker drive question

I upgraded 20.04 to 22.04 and I was pleasantly surprised to see that dolphin now recognizes a bitlocker encrypted drive and also mounts it.

I am wondering how I can do that from the command line in 22.04 LTS.

TIA.
  • Answer selected by Snowhog at Sep 03, 2022, 01:46 PM.

cryptsetup bitlkOpen /dev/sdb bitlocker
    ​Enter passphrase for /dev/sdb:<passphrase><Enter>
    ​This creates a new entry under /dev/mapper. In my case it created "bitlocker" that is a link to "../dm-3".
    mount /dev/mapper/bitlocker /media/<my mount point>

​This does the trick.

Comment

it should be the same no matter the distro, so I imagine this will work:
      https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...encrypted.html
      If you want to use the same directory as Dolphin you can use the file manager to see full path to where it is mounted.

I have no experience with bitlocker so other than basics, i have no idea how this works in the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        it should be the same no matter the distro, so I imagine this will work:
        https://www.linuxuprising.com/2019/0...encrypted.html
        If you want to use the same directory as Dolphin you can use the file manager to see full path to where it is mounted.

I have no experience with bitlocker so other than basics, i have no idea how this works in the real world.
        I don't think dislocker has anything to do with it. I feel that bitlocker file system support is added to kernel now. 22.04 uses 5.15 so it was added sometime before then. I never got dislocker to work even after following all the instructions on the github site.

I was using hasleo's version of dislocker which worked for me but everytime there is even a minor update, I had to re-install their s/w and that was very frequent. It now seems integrated so that all I have to do in the file manager is enter the passphrase.

I want to be able to mount it from command line for various different use cases, including on a server installation where there isn't any X running.

Comment

Well, just the mounting procedure will be done essentially the same way it is for manually mouinting any drive:

So use Step 4 on the tutorial:

sudo dislocker <partition> -u<password> -- /media/bitlocker

sudo mount -o loop /media/bitlocker/dislocker-file /media/bitlockermount​

if there is a different tool or command to decrypt the partition, just substitute that in the first line.

Originally posted by vr000m View Post
          I was using hasleo's version of dislocker which worked for me but everytime there is even a minor update, I had to re-install their s/w and that was very frequent. It now seems integrated so that all I have to do in the file manager is enter the passphrase.
          I don't think that the Hasleo Disklocker has any relation to the command line Linux tool dislocker. I am going to guess that the Linux command line tool now has kio or FUSE integration available to allow it to be used by various file managers.
          Last edited by claydoh; Sep 01, 2022, 04:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Well, just the mounting procedure will be done essentially the same way it is for manually mouinting any drive:

So use Step 4 on the tutorial:

sudo dislocker <partition> -u<password> -- /media/bitlocker

sudo mount -o loop /media/bitlocker/dislocker-file /media/bitlockermount​

if there is a different tool or command to decrypt the partition, just substitute that in the first line.

I don't think that the Hasleo Disklocker has any relation to the command line Linux tool dislocker. I am going to guess that the Linux command line tool now has kio or FUSE integration available to allow it to be used by various file managers.
            I was probably not clear. I do NOT have dislocker installed anymore. I gave up on that long ago as it failed to work for me.
            Kubuntu 22.04 simply mounts bitlocker encrypted usb device in dolphin after a password input, just as in windows file manager.
            I do not know what is done under the cover hence this post.

Comment

Sorry, I did not understand this. Apologies.

I have no idea what application is being used under the hood to decrypt bitlocker, and don't see any relevant info on the topic so far. The process to decrypt and mount will be the same exact method as I have shown, just needing to discover what application/command is being used to do so. It likely is not at all related to KDE specifically. I am wondering if the tools to encrypt/decrypt Linux disk encryption (LUKS, etc) are now able to do so for bitlocker.

I am hoping someone who uses this feature can chime in.
              it would be easy if I had a Windows install to test this on, but I am completely WIndows free right now.

Comment

cryptsetup bitlkOpen /dev/sdb bitlocker
                ​Enter passphrase for /dev/sdb:<passphrase><Enter>
                ​This creates a new entry under /dev/mapper. In my case it created "bitlocker" that is a link to "../dm-3".
                mount /dev/mapper/bitlocker /media/<my mount point>

​This does the trick.

Comment

Awesome!!!

Glad you discovered this. I am sure others will find it useful.

Comment

Working...
                  X