X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash on Dell XPS 9570

Hi,

I have recently installed Kubuntu 22 on a 2018 Dell XPS 9570.
    This machine has previously run Mint 18 and 19 without serious issue.

I am seeing very odd system crashes that can be summarised thus:

* Only crashing when running on battery supply. I don't think at all when plugged in.
    * Crashing into an odd state. Not a reboot, and not totally powered off. The power button does nothing until DC power adapter is applied and strangely the battery indicator button and state of change LEDs on the side of the laptop do not work (until power is applied and the system is started)
    * Happens with any state of charge, not a low
    * Seems to happen when a new program is launched or when an existing program opens a new window.
    * No warning and nothing in the logs other than an AppArmor notice about something starting.
    * It's not the same application - but seems usually with things like VSCode, IntelliJ idea. Never with Firefox(snap), Teams (electron).
    * I have a dual video card which is permanently set at the intel mode using a builtin driver.
    * There is never any thermal / CPU / IO or memory pressure at the time.
    * I'm "normally" plugged in at my desk, but would expect it to happen at least once if I'm on battery supply.

I can't find a thread poking out to unravel any more symptoms. It seems the OS is unaware of the issue (nothing in the logs, and nothing to suggest it has logged a core dump or crash dump)

Any pointers to help resolve this will be gratefully received.
    Any pointers for alternate places to post will be gratefully received.

Thanks

R

Have you tried running it with a different battery? This sounds suspiciously like a battery capacity issue...

cheers,
    bill
    sigpic
    A person who never made a mistake never tried anything new. --Albert Einstein

Comment

Working...
    X