Problems installing Kubuntu 22.04.1 from usb to HP zBook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems installing Kubuntu 22.04.1 from usb to HP zBook

I carefully determined the steps for downloading the Kubuntu 22.04.1 image file from Kubuntu.org, copying the file to usb flash drive in order to install it onto my HP zBook. I followed the directions and things seemed to go well -- when I installed Kubuntu, all the installation screens showed up, I was prompted for the necessary information, (network password, partitions, username, password, etc...). I got prompts saying various files were being installed, (including the boot loader), and that updates were being downloaded and installed.
    So, once the Kubuntu installer said the process was finished, it seemed like things would be great. Then, when I removed the flash drive and tried booting the computer, I found that instead of the boot sequence, I got the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI screen giving me the options to do a memory test, hard drive check, something regarding language, or exit. I exited this and next came a screen saying "BootDevice Not Found Please install an operating system on your hard disk"
    I entered the computer's start-up menu and tried changing to different combinations of boot-up device options, which didn't help. I installed Kubuntu from my flash drive twice and ran into the same issue both times.
    I'm wondering if I need to install the latest version of Ubuntu-22.04.1, then make the upgrade to Kubuntu after that. I tried to follow that method by using Ubuntu update manager because I had Ubuntu 20.04 LTS installed on my laptop previously. Whenever I tried to update using update manager, nothing happened, that's why I decided to just install a new Kubuntu OS from usb flash drive.
    I also recall that I had some issues in trying to install Ubuntu 20.04 on my HP laptop. Does HP not play well with Linux?

Thanks for any suggestions anyone can offer.

Did you boot the USB in UEFI mode? I ask because you don't mention it. If you booted in BIOS compatibility mode, you might get a situation like you report.

How to boot in UEFI mode depends on the motherboard firmware. A lot of motherboards give a cryptic list of choices, making it unclear which to select. I seem to recall that with some you have to disable compatibility mode.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by 7HillsGil View Post
      Then, when I removed the flash drive and tried booting the computer,
      I don't think that this is a cause for the issue, but instead of yanking out the USB, restart from the prompt you should get at the end of the installation, or from the start menu. You will be prompted to remove the USB after things have cleanly shut down.

I'm wondering if I need to install the latest version of Ubuntu-22.04.1,
      No, this will possibly create a messy install, and the installer process is identical between the two.

To add to jlittle suggestions, can you list exactly what your boot options are? Have you tried your laptop's boot menu hotkey? Either Esc or F9 is common on HP systems. These might help reveal if you are in BIOS or UEFI mode.
      A trick I have used in the past that still seems useful and relevant is when installing, to un-check installing updates etc, and to make sure you are NOT connected to the internet during the install. I think that updated, downloaded grub boot loader packages can barf and not install things properly in some case. All these files can be easily updated once the OS is up and running.

Comment

Responding to both jlittle and claydoh's comments:
        I don't know if I booted the usb in UEFI mode. I followed a procedure I've used with the zBook and with other computers - I press escape to stop the start-up routine, then I press the appropriate function key to change the start-up device. On my zBook the key is F10 BIOS Setup, (the choices are F1 System Information/F2 System Diagnostics/F7 HP SpareKey/F9 Boot Device Options/F10 BIOS Setup/F12 Network Boot/ENTER-Continue Startup).
        Pressing the "Esc" key does not seem to reveal if I'm in BIOS or UEFI mode.
        There's a long list of boot options -- I took photos but this forum page says I can't paste in a link to them. (I guess you could send me an email if you want to see the photos.)

Thanks for anymore suggestions.

Comment

I took photos but this forum page says I can't paste in a link to them
          You need One more post before you can post links, and attach images.

Comment

Well, about 5 minutes ago, my struggle ended! You know how you keep trying different combinations of things to get something to work, then at the end, you can't 100% remember what worked? Well, I went down the path of using UEFI instead of BIOS to start the computer. I still had to work my way through the right set of UEFI settings but I finally did and to my surprise, the computer booted up like normal. -- Amazing, (tongue in cheek ).

Comment

...my struggle ended!...
              Congrats!
              ... using UEFI instead of BIOS to start the computer...
              There are lots of posts here in KFN with this underlying cause, but because it varies with the firmware it presents differently.

I think it would be good if one has to go through hoops to do a BIOS/MBR install, or download a different iso.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
              X