Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does the AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT work with Kubuntu 22.04?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does the AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT work with Kubuntu 22.04?

I want to get a new desktop the end of this year and I'm wondering if the AMD Radeon RX 6750 XT works with Kubuntu 22.04? Thanks in advance.

https://www.phoronix.com/review/radeon-rx6750xt-linux/2

it *should* but being so new, there is always a chance for problems. However, according to Phoronix, as you posted, it is based on current cards , and it is detected as a "navy flounder" device, which is what my RX 6600 is labeled as. And this definitely works ootb without any tweaks or anything needed, on my 20.04 system

The Author is running 22.04, and though he is running a fresher kernel, the updated Mesa drivers et al are much more important.
    (if this card was a brand new series, not based on en existing one, the kernel version would be important)

For this card, I would recommend the oibaf PPA, as the author does. This gets a little better support as it provides more current Mesa drivers, which might give a little performance boost.. This is a long running and well maintained PPA, and is highly recommended for situations such as yours.

If I were getting that card for myself, I would have zero worries whatsoever.

Comment

I don't know if this information is worth anything, but I've been using an MSI 6700 XT for a couple months, and I really like it. I don't dual-boot, so I don't know what Windows performance is like, but I play games like Fallout, Borderlands, Tomb Raider, Outer Worlds, etc. with it. I never installed any PPA or extra drivers. I just let Kubuntu 22.04 do whatever it wanted with it, installed games, and got to playing.
      Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
        I don't know if this information is worth anything, but I've been using an MSI 6700 XT for a couple months, and I really like it. I don't dual-boot, so I don't know what Windows performance is like, but I play games like Fallout, Borderlands, Tomb Raider, Outer Worlds, etc. with it. I never installed any PPA or extra drivers. I just let Kubuntu 22.04 do whatever it wanted with it, installed games, and got to playing.
        Hmm I'm going to be using the RX 6750 XT on a motherboard that's at least two years old maybe even a year old MB, and I was told that there would be some performance losses.
        The reason I want to use a MB that is at least a year old is for better compatibility with Kubuntu 22.04

Comment

I have the MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX motherboard. I bought it in April of 2021, so it's over a year old. Not sure if it's still on sale, but I really like it.
          I hated it at first, because it refused to look at the SATA ports for a bootable drive unless you reset the thing five times. Drove me nuts. Absolutely none of the BIOS settings helped. Every time I looked, the settings indicated it knew exactly which drive to boot from. Lo and behold, "No bootable media found, press any key to retry"
          I reinstalled my OS, I tried swapping SSDs, I tried switching from CSM to UEFI-only and reinstalling the OS again. Nothing changed anything.

I finally bit the bullet and bought an NVMe drive, set it to UEFI-only, and that completely solved it.

So, I guess all of that is to say, I recommend the MSI B450 only if you plan to use the M.2 slot for your OS.
          Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
          Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Originally posted by bradleypariah View Post
            I have the MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX motherboard. I bought it in April of 2021, so it's over a year old. Not sure if it's still on sale, but I really like it.
            I hated it at first, because it refused to look at the SATA ports for a bootable drive unless you reset the thing five times. Drove me nuts. Absolutely none of the BIOS settings helped. Every time I looked, the settings indicated it knew exactly which drive to boot from. Lo and behold, "No bootable media found, press any key to retry"
            I reinstalled my OS, I tried swapping SSDs, I tried switching from CSM to UEFI-only and reinstalling the OS again. Nothing changed anything.

I finally bit the bullet and bought an NVMe drive, set it to UEFI-only, and that completely solved it.

So, I guess all of that is to say, I recommend the MSI B450 only if you plan to use the M.2 slot for your OS.
            So hows the WiFi on that MB? Also I think I want to use a year old Intel based MB because I know if it has built in WiFi it would be Intel based and that's way more likely to work with Linux.
            And BTW I'll be using a variable HDD for both Linux and Windows.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
              hows the WiFi on that MB?
              Huh? Wi-Fi?? LOL No idea. Does it have Wi-Fi? Every desktop has Wi-Fi if you plug a USB Wi-Fi key into it. I use Ethernet.

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
              And BTW I'll be using a variable HDD for both Linux and Windows.
              I definitely don't recommend this board then. I wasn't particularly impressed with MSI's support about the SATA issue either.

Comment

Working...
              X