Video Card recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Video Card recommendations?

I'm pretty sure my video card has crapped out, since I don't get anything on either screen when I attempt to boot--not even the manufacturer's logo. So I'm looking for recommendations. I am not a gamer. I don't do games; I do documents, so I don't need the latest and greatest in graphics. All I need is something that won't noticeably slow me down. Thanks for ideas.

A desktop PC? If yes, is the video card an actual card, or onboard (a chip)? If a card, try reseating it first before assuming "It's dead Jim!" And if it's truly dead, suggestions for a replacement can't be made without knowing the specs of your PC, and specifically, what GPU (make/model) died.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hi, Snowhog. It's a desktop with a PCI card, which I have tried reseating. The card is an EVGA GTX 750 TI, which is pretty old. I'm not sure quite how long I've had it. It may just be too old for my new mobo, an Asus Prime Z390-P.

Comment

If indeed it is dead or too old to worry about and you are sure you want to invest in an additional card:
        For desktop and not gaming, I'd stick with AMD Radeon. Their drivers are open source for a long time now and they also offer the amd-pro drivers updated every four months. Try searching Amazon or another retailer for Radeon in the electronics department. Then you can sort by price. Also depends on your outputs you desire. Here is one, as an example, that has 1GB of memory which should be plenty for your needs.
        Diamond Multimedia AMD Radeon HD 5450 PCI Express GDDR3 1GB MEM (DVI, HDMI, VGA) Low Profile Enhanced Heatsink Video Graphics Card (5450PE31G)
        Features:

• Interface : PCI Express x16
        • Clock : 650 MHz
        • MEM Clock : 400 MHz
        • MEM Size : 1024MB
        • MEM Config : 32 x 32
        • MEM Type : GDDR3
        • OPGL : OpenGL 3.2 ,DIRECTX 11
        • PORTS : Dual-Link DVI,HDMI,VGA

Performance
        • GPU : Cedar
        • ASIC Core : 5450
        • Core Clock : 650 MHz
        • BUS : PCI Express 3.0 x16
        • Ports : Dual-Link DVI, HDMI, VGA
        • Cooling : Passive HeatSink
        • MFG Process : 40nm
        • Power Consumption : 19.4 Watts

Comment

Have you considered using the on-board graphics? They do very well with normal stuff, and video playback.
          Unless your CPU is one of the -F variants, without an iGPU. Otherwise, it probably an Intel 630 graphics if I am not mistaken.

The graphics probably are more than adequate for your needs, and will probably be as good or, and probably better than most of the inexpensive Radeon HDxxxx multimedia cards

One of many useful tools for rough hardware comparisons:

https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compar...m356797vsm7719

Don't take the above as gospel, for sure. But they do give a general idea.

If you want to go beefier for the long haul, AMD is the easiest route for sure.
          On that mobo, I'd suggest anything from a RX6600 and higher, if you wait a bit as prices keep falling. An RX 6500 is a hard no-go, even if dirt cheap, as it lacks a lot of features and is hobbled in many ways as well. This card was *reamed* by every reviewer out there.
          In that case, an ancient, used RX580/480 is actually a better, faster choice.

But the on-board graphics might just fit your needs, at least for now.
          Last edited by claydoh; Jul 13, 2022, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Onboard graphics, if your motherboard has it (mine does not) may be enough for you. But. . .
            Since you may already have Nvidia drivers installed, you could consider:
            MSI Geforce 210 1024 MB DDR3 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card MD1G/D3
            44.99 at amazon. Next after that, the models jump to GT 710 to GT 730 but the price jumps to about 70-90 dollars.
            Your old card still sells for 181.22 dollars new.

Comment

Working...
            X