Motherboard Wifi Stopped

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Motherboard Wifi Stopped

I have a Gigabyte Z370 HD3P-CF mobo, which has been working just fine. The wifi was fully functioning after I upgraded to Jammy. Now it doesn't function at all. (I have a wired connection for this machine, so this isn't (yet) a disaster.) I know the router is functioning properly, because I can still see and connect to my wireless network with other devices.

I will probably supply below more information than needed, but it may save some back-and-forth time.

The relevant portion of inxi shows:

Machine:
    Type: Desktop System: Gigabyte product: Z370 HD3P v: N/A serial: N/A
    Mobo: Gigabyte model: Z370 HD3P-CF v: x.x serial: N/A
    UEFI: American Megatrends v: F6 date: 03/01/2018

Network:
    Device-1: Intel Ethernet I219-V vendor: Gigabyte driver: e1000e v: kernel
    port: N/A bus-ID: 00:1f.6
    IF: enp0s31f6 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: <filter>
    IF-ID-1: vmnet1 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>
    IF-ID-2: vmnet8 state: unknown speed: N/A duplex: N/A mac: <filter>

lspci shows:

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 8th Gen Core Processor Host Bridge/DRAM Registers (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6th-10th Gen Core Processor PCIe Controller (x16) (rev 07)
    00:08.0 System peripheral: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v5/v6 / E3-1500 v5 / 6th/7th/8th Gen Core Proce
    ssor Gaussian Mixture Model
    00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family USB 3.0 xHCI Controller
    00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH CSME HECI #1
    00:17.0 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH SATA controller [AHCI mode]
    00:1b.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #17 (rev f0)
    00:1b.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #19 (rev f0)
    00:1b.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #20 (rev f0)
    00:1b.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #21 (rev f0)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev f0)
    00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev f0)
    00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev f0)
    00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #5 (rev f0)
    00:1c.6 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #7 (rev f0)
    00:1d.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH PCI Express Root Port #9 (rev f0)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Z370 Chipset LPC/eSPI Controller
    00:1f.2 Memory controller: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family Power Management Controller
    00:1f.3 Audio device: Intel Corporation 200 Series PCH HD Audio
    00:1f.4 SMBus: Intel Corporation 200 Series/Z370 Chipset Family SMBus Controller
    00:1f.6 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation Ethernet Connection (2) I219-V
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 [GeForce GTX 1650 SUPER] (rev a1)
    01:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    01:00.2 USB controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 USB 3.1 Host Controller (rev a1)
    01:00.3 Serial bus controller: NVIDIA Corporation TU116 USB Type-C UCSI Controller (rev a1)
    03:00.0 PCI bridge: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT8892E PCIe to PCI Bridge (rev 71)
    06:00.0 Non-Volatile memory controller: Samsung Electronics Co Ltd NVMe SSD Controller SM981/PM981/PM983
    0a:00.0 USB controller: ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM2142 USB 3.1 Host Controller

I don't see a wireless device there, but perhaps I don't understand what I'm looking at.

lsusb shows:

Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 258a:0001 SINO WEALTH USB KEYBOARD
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 046d:c52b Logitech, Inc. Unifying Receiver
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

None of that seems to me to relate to wireless.

I have looked at the BIOS, but I did not see a particular setting for wireless. Besides, I haven't messed with the BIOS since I built the machine.

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jul 06, 2022, 10:09 AM.

if the wifi card is not even being detected, you may have to see if has somehow become dislodged or something, or gone bad, even.
    Even if the driver was missing entirely from the kernel, the device info would still show in lspci.

I can't find details of what wifi card it is supposed to have, so I am guessing this was an OEM motherboard?
    Gigabyte don't seem to list a Z370 HD3P-CF, just a HD3P which doesn't have WiFi built in, and what I see on https://linux-hardware.org for the board shows any number of different cards.
    Unless it is an addon PCI card, even an on-board Wifi chip is usually just an m.2 style card in a custom bracket.

Actually, the lack of Bluetooth in your lsusb output also makes me think that there may be something physically wrong with the hardware, since that is provided by the Wifi card.

Comment

Just to chime in needlessly . . . The wifi was working fine with jammy and then suddenly stopped? If that is correct, then I also agree with Claydoh, the card may have given out finally. They do go bad. Esp considering the bluetooth is also not being detected, which is probably on the wifi card. If this is a dual boot system with windows and a newer wfi card, you can try holding in the power button for 30+ seconds to clear the state saved on the wifi card by some windows drivers. Unplugging the power source (battery/powercable) for 30+ seconds can also help. If this is not a dual boot system with windows/linux then this is unlikely to help. In that case it is likely. as claydoh stated, to be a card that has died on you. EOL >> End of Life. It happens. One way to test to make sure is to boot from a live DVD/USB and try Kubuntu to see if you wifi has the same problem. Try another Linux distro as well. If wifi no longer works with them, then likely it is dead.

Comment

Go to a terminal and issue this command and post the output here.
        Code:
        rfkill list
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Claydoh,
          Bingo! The mobo chip must have been just a tad loose. I found it, pushed on it (I didn't force it; I used my smallest hammer), and I'm back in business. Many thanks.

Comment

Glad you got it going
            At some point you may want to pull it out of the slot and clean the contacts with contact cleaner.
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Originally posted by Don View Post
              Claydoh,
              Bingo! The mobo chip must have been just a tad loose. I found it, pushed on it (I didn't force it; I used my smallest hammer), and I'm back in business. Many thanks.

Glad it is sorted!
              It is easy to blame the OS first, but after blaming Linux too many times for something that ended up being hardware or PEBKAC, I finally learned to look at all The Things.

On the flip side, I bought an old, unopened Logitech Bluetooth trackpad for 30 bucks from Ebay two weeks ago. The internal battery was bulging. I took it apart and replaced that, but the dang thing would connect, but not be seen as an input device. So I though it was a dud, a chance I took on something so cheap. This one turned out to be an actual OS problem
              or rather a huge dash of PEBKAC casing an OS problem

Comment

I never meant to blame the OS. In fact, I was pretty sure it had nothing to do with the OS. I just came here since it's the best place to find out about almost any problem on a Linux box.

Comment

Working...
                X