Nvidia problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nvidia problems

Hi. This is my first post in this forum. I've been a Linux user since 2003. My favorite distro is Gentoo. I also have Artix, Endeavour, Manjaro, openSUSE LEAP, and Kubuntu (22.04) installed on my hard disk drive. Also Windoze 10 (which I rarely use). I'm running all this stuff on a Dell XPS8930 (8 core Intel CPU, 16 GB RAM), and an Nvidia GPU (GE Force RTX 2060). I just installed Kubuntu 22.04 today.

I have a few problems when I boot the system. If I just do a normal boot ("linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-40-generic root=UUID=ae1083c5-2b7c-442c-b14c-887ae789c442 ro quiet splash $vt_handoff" is the grub command line supplied by the installation program), the boot process hangs after about ten seconds with a lot of ACPI error messages. I'll supply more detail if someone thinks that would be helpful. If I boot in recovery mode ("linux /boot/vmlinuz-5.15.0-40-generic root=UUID=ae1083c5-2b7c-442c-b14c-887ae789c442 ro recovery nomodeset dis_ucode_ldr") and then choose "Resume", I can log in in GUI mode, but I'm stuck with 800 x 600 graphics, which looks pretty clunky. I guess I should try editing the grub command line a bit, to remove "nomodeset". That might enable frame buffer devices.

Anyway, I've already installed Kubuntu twice, both with and without the built-in Nvidia video drivers. None of that seems to help. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. (I'll be back with some more information in a little bit.)

So eliminating "nomodeset" in recovery mode fixed the display resolution problem. and after I booted successfully in recovery mode, the regular boot seems to work OK. I still get a lot of error messages, but the system boots OK. Sorry to bother y'all. Oh -- I'm using the Nouveau driver, and it seems to be working fine.

Comment

Can't say for sure, but if it produces same errors with or without nvidia drivers, it may not be an Nvidia issue specifically. A couple of thoughts for troubleshooting:
      1. Make sure you have the intel-microcode package installed
      2. Try blacklisting nouveau drivers when using the official Nvidia drivers (may already be blacklisted). You could try modprobe.blacklist=nouveau as a parameter, but have not tested that before so do not know if that is accurate.
      3. Make sure bios is up to date
      4. Look for settings in bios with regards to acpi and see if anything needs toggled (probably not likely)
      5. Try either acpi=off OR noacpi acpi=strict
      6. Try a different kernel than the stock kernel, such as Mainline, Xanmod, or Liquorix to see if the behavior repeats itself

I'm using the Nouveau driver, and it seems to be working fine
      If you have any problems with that driver the Nvidia driver gives much better results in my experience. Just make sure Nouveau is blacklisted.
      Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 23, 2022, 12:15 PM.

Comment

My experience with Nvidia GPUs and current Ubuntu-based distributions (Ubuntu, Kubuntu, KDE neon, Zorin OS, Mint, …) and some others:

- always boot in "safe graphics mode" from the installation medium, if possible (don't use a "boot with Nvidia drivers" or "standard" boot-option instead)
        - be sure to fully update your system after installation
        - reboot
        - only after this procedure install the proprietary Nvidia drivers in terminal (the commands are for Ubuntu-based distributions only):
        Code:
        ubuntu-drivers devices
        sudo ubuntu-drivers autoinstall
        and
        Code:
        sudo reboot
        I have had no issues so far with the afore-mentioned distributions after following the steps above - perhaps this method will work for you too…
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Jun 22, 2022, 03:19 PM. Reason: typos
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

Working...
        X