Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Mesa version

Hi,

After successful upgrade from Kubuntu 21.10 to 22.04, I am wondering why Firefox still use an old Mesa version?

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:101.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/101.0
    Driver Vendor mesa/r600
    Driver Version 21.2.6.0

Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.94.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-37-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11
    Processors: 4 × AMD A8-6500T APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics
    Memory: 7.0 GiB of RAM
    Graphics Processor: AMD ARUBA

https://superuser.com/questions/9308...bgl-in-firefox
    While this post is older, it gives some insights on the relation between what FIrefox reports and the version of Mesa installed on the system. Also, note one user claimed
    Firefox sees as a Graphics driver, is not some specific file version, but that which is reported by glxinfo:
    $ glxinfo | grep -i "OpenGL version"
    I would say unless you are having problems with webgl/rendering in webpages then it is probably not anything to worry about. What does the driver section report about webgl when you type about:support in Firefox? For example mine reports:
    WebGL 1 Driver Renderer NVIDIA Corporation -- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650/PCIe/SSE2
    WebGL 1 Driver Version 4.6.0 NVIDIA 515.48.07
    Read over that post. I think few people would even notice it over the years but I am sure it has been a common situation. If I were you I would not worry about it unless you are actually having issues.

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

glxinfo | grep -i "OpenGL version"
      OpenGL version string: 3.1 Mesa 22.0.1

WebGL 1 Driver Renderer X.Org -- AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.0-37-generic, LLVM 12.0.0)
      WebGL 1 Driver Version 3.1 Mesa 21.2.6

WebGL 2 Driver Renderer X.Org -- AMD ARUBA (DRM 2.50.0 / 5.15.0-37-generic, LLVM 12.0.0)
      WebGL 2 Driver Version 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 21.2.6

Comment

Firefox may be reporting the older version but unless it is installed on your system, I can't imagine that it is actually using that version. What can be learned by the link i posted is that it has been going on for a long time and it probably is more common than most users know as most users are probably not even aware of it. Also no solution was found in that forum at the time. As I said I don't think it is anything to worry about unless you are having issues. it is likely just cosmetic in that case. You stated you were just curious as to why. Are you having any issues related to it?

Comment

So far, no issues.

Comment

So far, no issues.
            Great, then in that case it is nothing to worry about!

Comment

Working...
            X