Weird WiFi Problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Weird WiFi Problem

I'm running Kubuntu 22.04 and Windows 10 in a dual-boot setup. Here's the case, if I boot:
    1. directly to Kubuntu, WiFi works: no problem
    2. directly to Windows, WiFi works: no problem
    3. directly to Windows, then reboot and choose Kubuntu in Grub: WiFI works, no problem
    4. directly to Kubuntu, then reboot and choose Windows in Grub: WiFi doesn't work, big problem
    • The USB WiFi dongle is: "Bus 002 Device 003: ID 148f:7601 Ralink Technology, Corp. MT7601U Wireless Adapter," as per lsusb output.
    • I can't do away with WiFi in Windows due to work related constraints.
    Please help me resolve this weird WiFi problem where it doesn't work if I reboot to Windows after running Kubuntu for a while.
    Last edited by manmath; Apr 27, 2022, 08:20 PM. Reason: Typo

Just a thought:
    This may sound strange so hear me out. I have a newer mediatek wifi card. One of the issues with some newer cards is present in dual booting where the card driver is saving status info to the card before reboot. My particular issue is after booting into windows, it works. After rebooting back into Linux it may not.

Try holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds to refresh the memory on the card and cmos. When the computer comes back up, then select Windows and see if the wifi will then come up. This clean booting method is the only way to get my wifi adapter to work after rebooting from Windows back into Linux. Also, disabling secure boot if it is enabled might help as I seem to recall this can lead to similar issues. Thanks to another poster on another forum:
    Hold down the power button for a full 60 seconds and it resets your bluetooth and wifi then restart. Completely fixed the issue for me.
    30 seconds works for me but if it doesn't work for you try 60 seconds as suggested above.
    If this doesn't help you I am sorry. I just thought it was worth mentioning as it affects some users in dual boot situations, especially those with secure boot enabled in the bios/uefi.

Good Luck!

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
      Try holding down the power button for at least 30 seconds to refresh the memory on the card and cmos.
      That works.
      However, the better solution is to switch the mains off, and then boot directly to Windows. This also works!
      Both are workarounds, I'm looking for a solution. Please read the first post. Anyways, thanks for dropping by.

Comment

Clearly, I read your first post. There is no solution at this time. The issue with with the firmware on newer wireless network cards and the current state of the windows drivers and kernel drivers. The manufacturers are not interested in finding solutions for a handful of users that will be trying to use dual boot/multiple OSes. As far as they are concerned, the cards work as intended. We are the ones who are using them in scenarios that are atypical for most setups. If you would like to continue to use it in this way (dual-boot), you will have to accept workarounds as a solution or find a different wireless card. You are not the only one affected.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
          We are the ones who are using them in scenarios that are atypical for most setups. If you would like to continue to use it in this way (dual-boot), you will have to accept workarounds as a solution or find a different wireless card. You are not the only one affected.
          That's what I'm doing. Thanks for sharing the info. Please do inform me if you come across any solution. Except for this WiFi issue everything is perfect. Should I mark this thread "solved" till the real solution comes my way?

Comment

Yes, please.

Comment

Working...
            X