Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't get a web site download page to display.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Can't get a web site download page to display.

Using Firefox in K. 2204, I clicked on a link to the url for a download web page and repeatedly get a totally white page having no content, just a whole-page area whiteness. Can anyone tell me what could cause that. I haven't seen that before.

Best to post the link here, so we can verify - that can have dozens of reasons…
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

https://ozarkmt.com/?download_file=4122&order=wc_order_UaQNjJssWDb3C&u id=acf65e31f445ffd7c29429b5f631ab411d1b64f5c235c4f 78b2aafe9fbb600c3&key=db662079-4d1d-4fe1-8267-5913ac16d6ed

The problem here is that this page is not publicly available; it's strictkly for a paid customer to download the bought product file. So you won't be able to access it. I've asked the customer service woman to speak with their IT guy, and she said she'd pass my phone number to him. But he isn't really an IT guy, just the guy who uses the page to fulfill their orders. He may maintain it to some extent. So I may have to get to a contract IT person. Whew.
      Last edited by RLynwood; Oct 26, 2023, 02:42 PM.

Comment

OK, so try another web browser (Brave, Falkon, …) or create a new Firefox profile without any plug-ins/extensions and with standard settings - and/or wait for their feedback.
        Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Oct 26, 2023, 03:04 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
        install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

This sort of thing almost certainly will be a website issue, not the browser.

BUT, unfortunately the browser used can matter - much of the web caters to Chrome, since that is far and away the browser of choice in the world. Firefox is but a tiny sliver of a portion. 3% or so, supposedly.
          So, it is always a decent idea to use different browsers as necessary, whether it is Chrome proper, or one of the many ones based on it - Brave, Chromium, Edge , or Opera

But do try clearing your browser cache, and disabling extensions as well. These can cause odd things like this as well.

Comment

OT: I would take one "green" smiley away from Opera and give it to Edge - and give another two to Chrome

Comment

No, Opera is fugly ugly bugly.

Comment

Well, thank you both. Because this company has a limit of three downloads--and the customer service woman is equating my clicks, attempts at downloading it, with downloads,--I must wait until I can speak someone who has can authorize my further attempts. But, yes, I'll start with Brave and proceed to Iron and finally Chromium if necessary. I don't have Opera anymore (it wasn't the good old Opera it used to be).

Btw, why would anyone in this group use Chrome? Does that person like being surveilled?

Comment

I missed this yesterday.
                  I've 'privatized' Firefox quite a lot. On some websites this gives problems. Very often you don't have to create a new profile, but can start in safe-mode. Just type in the terminal firefox --safe-mode
                  This disables all extensions and adjusts some settings.
                  You could try to look at the code from the site. If you open developer tools with Extra (or Tools, or how it's named in English) -> Developer tools. After that click on the square with the arrow on the upper side on the left. Finally click on the link that doesn't work. Most of the time you can see the code. If you copy and paste the link (and the code around it) here, maybe it's possible to say if something is wrong with that link.

Comment

This looks like good advice. But, as I said, I have to work with the site admin. because I've exhausted my three downloads (not really; that has to be corrected since I haven't downloaded anything). When I get their cooperation, I may well follow this advice. Great contribution. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                    X