KDE Plasma 5.27.9 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE Plasma 5.27.9 available in Kubuntu Backports Extra

Above-mentioned updates for our preferred desktop environment are availabe for Kubuntu 22.04 LTS in the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA.

Thank you for your continuing work on 22.04!​

Link to the changleog for KDE Plasma 5.27.9 :
    https://kde.org/announcements/change...5.27.8-5.27.9/

The Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA contains "extra backports, in addition to those in our normal backports PPA" (Kubuntu Backports PPA).

You can find the installation instructions on the Kubuntu Backports PPA and Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA websites, but here they are again (for Backports Extra only - for Backports see Kubuntu Backports PPA​):

Open the Konsole terminal emulator and enter
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-extra
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    reboot

After this any future updates that the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA provide for your Kubuntu version will be automatically installed when you update your system.

As always I strongly recommend that you have prepared some way to revert your system to a previous state if something goes wrong, e.g.:

One can install ppa-purge before and use it to get rid of the Kubuntu Backports' packages again.
    Or use a Timeshift system backup.
    Or use LVM/ext4 with snapshots or btrfs with snapshots as your file system.
    Or use a Clonezilla volume backup.
    Or …​​​​

You can also find an overview about the different versions of the KDE Plasma desktop environment and its components in Kubuntu here:
    Overview: Kubuntu, its parent and some of its siblings​​​​​
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 11, 2023, 05:52 AM.
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Thanks for reminding me of this repository.
    Not that I was unhappy with the old version of Plasma but I like running the latest.

Comment

Plasma 5.27 has some advantages compared to 5.24 (and it is the last of the 5 series - and is still supported by KDE until next year).

AFAIK we all have to thank acheron for this - I think he is the main maintainer of the Kubuntu Backports projects and certainly puts a lot of his free time in them.
      Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 04, 2023, 03:52 PM.

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
      install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Do you think this Plasma upgrade would get along with Nvidia? Learning the pros and cons of Nvidia problems with kernel upgrades has me code shy.

Comment

If your GPU does run mostly fine with Plasma 5.24 I suppose it will also run mostly fine with 5.27.

The only "real problems" I had run into with Nvidia were occasional incompatibilities with kernel updates and with Wayland - no matter which distribution.​
          Additional "minor annoyances" were e.g. Night Light not working automatically, sometimes Plasmoids could not read the GPU's temperature - just to name two things concerning Plasma directly as an example. But those things never were serious problems or specific to a Plasma version, more so to the Nvidia driver version IIRC - some of them came and went and came and went over the years…

That was when I still had Nvidia graphics cards in one or two of my private computers - I am glad that I solely use AMD GPUs and Intel (i)GPUs nowadays.
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 05, 2023, 09:12 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Unfortunately I found a "bug" today: qml-module-org-kde-notification is missing from Frameworks 5.104.
            Therefore some Plasmoids that depend on it cannot be used with the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA…

Please see below.
            Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 07, 2023, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Schwarzer Kater View Post
              Unfortunately I found a "bug" today: qml-module-org-kde-notification is missing from Frameworks 5.104.
              Therefore some Plasmoids that depend on it cannot be used with the Kubuntu Backports Extra PPA…
              It has just been renamed to qml-module-org-kde-notification​s

No plasmamoids in jammy archive or backports depend on the original, so I assume you mean a 3rd part plasmoid. Installing the newly named package should satisfy a plasmoids qml import dependencies.
              Last edited by acheron; Nov 07, 2023, 10:14 AM.
              On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Thank you for your correction! And sorry: stupid user error - I already had installed qml-module-org-kde-notification​s in Debian 12 (Plasma 5.27.x), but somehow I forgot about the renaming…
                You are right, this is used by one of my favourite third-party Plasmoids : Advanced Radio Player. Which does work now.
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Nov 07, 2023, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X