Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kubuntu 22.04.3: why can't 2nd user use all Dolphin options?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello all,

after a long time I am a reappearing user of Kubuntu, Kubuntu 22.04.3 that is. I (User1 with sudo rights) have a problem with my second user, User2 (no sudo rights):

He can read files and open folders from an NTFS partition, WinLin on the same drive Kubuntu sits on, but he cannot "Create new" nor "copy > paste" on WinLin. This was not a problem in earlier version of Kubuntu and it still not a problem with "Debian 12 Cinnamon" and not with "EndeavourOS KDE Plasma"; both reside with Kubuntu in multiboot mode on the same SSD.

How can I fix this, please?

*** Details ***

The SSD on my laptop houses in multiboot mode Kubuntu 22.04.3, Debian 12 Cinnamon, EndeavourOS KDE and Windows 11. There are several NTFS partitions on the drive. With Kubuntu, User2 logs in, I mount for him the NTFS partition WinLin using Dolphin. Now he can browse and open files or open folders, but he cannot "Create new" nor "copy > paste", these options are greyed out in Dolphin.

Now I used "ls -la":

Kubuntu 22.04.3:
    User2's partition /run/media/User2 looks like this:

Code:
    drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Aug 11 17:27 .
    drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4096 Aug 11 16:43 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 User2 User2 12288 Aug 11 17:17 WinLin
    When I am running Debian 12 Cinnamon, User2's partion /media/User2 looks like this:

Code:
    drwxr-x---+ 3 root root 4096 Aug 11 17:17 .
    drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Jul 26 20:19 ..
    drwxrwxrwx 1 User2 User2 12288 Aug 11 17:17 WinLin
    The same look as with Kubuntu, but with Debian he can do anything with the file manager, with Kubuntu, as said above, he has severe restricions.

Thanks, kubucub

P.S. With Ubuntu 22.04.2 it is even worse, see, e.g, https://askubuntu.com/questions/1469779/problems-after-upgrading-to-22-04-to-22-04-2-lts​

You will have to edit the /etc/sudoers file to include the new user.
    See Here;
    https://itsfoss.com/add-sudo-user-ubuntu/
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks, but I don't want to give User2 sudo rights. I did not have to up to and including 20.04 and I still don't have to in the newest Debian and EndeavourOS distros. If mother Debian can do it then daughter (K)Ubuntu should be able to do it, too. But how?

Comment

After I had set up a few files and links to show on my Desktop I logged out, in again, and... everything was gone from Desktop and only visible in the Desktop folder I quit Kubuntu

Comment

Sorry to see you go. Come back anytime you'd like for someone to dig deeper and work with you to find the problem. IME Kubuntu is not the same as Debian in some ways, and is even different from Ubuntu in some ways. And certainly different from other distros. Each has different dev teams and goals. It could have been anything with user2 such as a group membership, file permissions, configurations, etc.

I too have had issues from time to time with Kubuntu since 2007. In every case someone was able to, willing to, and actually did provide some info that led directly to a solution or a path to a solution.

But come back anytime.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Thank you jglen490,
            I certainly will be back next year with (K)Ubuntu 24.04 LS. Probably those glitches will have disappeared then. I bet these are glitches because it happened after years of painless installations with (K)Ubuntu - and there was never a problem with 22.04.1, and I re-installed several times version 22.04.3, and similar mishaps happened to other users, too, such as

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1469779/problems-after-upgrading-to-22-04-to-22-04-2-lts

Cheers, kubucub

Comment

One thing (among many things) I've learned, is that a clean install is the best approach. I use a very specific set of steps, starting with a backup of /home. I'm not normally worried about anything happening to /home, because it's on its own partition. I download and burn the latest LTS, as I only use LTS. During install, I use the "something else" or "manual" - or whatever it's called now - install. At the screen that shows the existing partitions, I keep /home, and format /. I also leave /boot/EFI and SWAP alone. For / I verify/re-enter the partition size and select my usual filesystem. Next, I go down to the input box to tell the installer where to put Boot files, and I select the partition for /boot/EFI. Then I proceed with a full install. The installer formats the / partition, pulls down software. In a little while I have a fresh install. I do on occasion need to re-install some apps. But that's not a big deal.

Then I just go have fun for two more years. The only way this works is to have a separate partition for /home. And to ALWAYS backup my /home stuff to external drives!

If you are a BTRFS fan, I wish you well, but that's a whole different thing, and I can't help you with that But, there are plenty of members here who can help.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Aug 12, 2023, 08:08 AM

after a long time I am a reappearing user of Kubuntu, Kubuntu 22.04.3 that is. I (User1 with sudo rights) have a problem with my second user, User2 (no sudo rights):
                ​Just found the solution with Ubuntu 23.04: automounting the respective partitions; will probably work with Kubuntu, too:
                • Menu > Disks (gnome-disk-utilities)
                • Check disk holding the repective partitions, e.g., WinLin
                • Edit Mount Options
                • Unmark "User Session Default", but keep "Mount at System Startup" and "Show in User Interface" marked
                • Edit Mount Options
                • ...Mount Point /mnt/WinLin
                • ...LABEL=WinLin

Then OK, Adminpassword, and reboot. All multiusers can use now WinLin.

Comment

Working...
                X