Cant use Ark after reinstalling KDE Plasma Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant use Ark after reinstalling KDE Plasma Desktop

I messed up my Kubuntu installation when changing GPU's. To keep it short, I ended up having to reinstall kde plasma desktop. The system is working properly, but when I needed to use some zip files, I noticed Ark app was gone.

I installed it with Discover (snap). At the time all I needed was to create a zip file, and for that it worked fine. But then, when I'm going to extract some file, I dont have those nice shortcuts in the right-click menu to quickly unzip a file. Also, when I try to open it, there is a message "Can't open file: Permission denied". But then, if go to menu > open, browse the same file, I can see the file contents, but I cant extract the files with the same kind of permission error.

I know this maybe an Ark related issue, but since I had this little "reinstall kde plasma" problem, I came here to know if anyone can point out some step of installation that I may have missed.

Thank you !

Originally posted by obrunopolo View Post
    I ended up having to reinstall kde plasma desktop
    What specifically did you do to do this?

You probably just need to install ark using native packaging - using Muon, or the command line (sudo apt update && sudo apt install ark)
    Then, you can remove the Snap.
    (if you were on a more current Plasma or Kubuntu, you would be able to install this using Discover)

You might also make sure the package kubuntu-desktop is installed. It is a meta-package that depends on all the bits and pieces that make up a Kubuntu system, and will pull in any other missing bits you may be missing.

Comment

My old radeon GPU died, and I replaced it for a Nvidia one. I managed to install drivers correctly, but I think I did not remove the old amd ones. When I ran updates on Discover the system would not boot, being stuck in the motherboard splash screen.

I was able to enter recovery mode and found that some packages were broken. At this point, it was only desperation and hope. I cant remember exactly what happened, but I can tell you that trying to remove the AMD drivers, I had to remove lots of dependants. I also ran apt autoremove after that. Desperate times.

After that I was booting to ubuntu command line. Then I installed drivers, installed kde plasma desktop again, and could boot to GUI.

BTW, it was resolved by following those steps.

Comment

Originally posted by obrunopolo View Post
        but I can tell you that trying to remove the AMD drivers, I had to remove lots of dependants
        Normally, you would not have needed to do this at all. AMD video drivers are included as part of the OS, and do not conflict with installing the proprietary nvidia drivers Now, going the other way (Nvidia to AMD) you DO need to remove Nvidia drivers and configs, for sure.

Comment

Working...
        X