Trying to find file system in Dophin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trying to find file system in Dophin

How do I access the file system with usr, etc and so on in Dolphin?

Assuming you are showing the contents of your Home directory, just click the right of > Home just above the display window and you will 'see' the navigation window (/home/username/). Just backspace over the entry so you just have / and press Enter. Now you can navigate the Root directory.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It is not always clear, but the easy way is to click on the appropriate device on the sidebar.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230609_194831.png
Views:	107
Size:	96.6 KB
ID:	671353

Or, you click on the location bar at the top to edit/backspace/etc

Name:	Screenshot_20230609_194955.png
Views:	102
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	671354

Name:	Screenshot_20230609_195549.png
Views:	108
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	671355

Comment

IIRC, "the file system", which I call the Linux root, or /, is in the Places panel but hidden by default in new installs. If you want to get to it on the Places panel, read on.

(Can you can see the Places panel, that has "Home", "Documents" and the like? If you can't, turn on the Places panel at step 2.)
        1. Click the settings icon at the far right of the toolbar (If you see the "File Edit..." menu bar click "View").
        2. Go to "Show Panels", check "Show Hidden Places".
        Now Places will have a bunch of entries that have been hidden, that show as greyed out. Right-click those you want, and uncheck Hide. Then go back and uncheck "Show Hidden Places".

Sometimes dolphin is flaky with this; I had trouble in that the "Hide" check box was greyed out, but then it started working. So, rather than unhiding the standard "root" entry, you can add your own entry, by right-clicking just after the last entry and choosing "Add entry".
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
        X