This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Questions about Storage mounting

For reference, this is a brand new install of 22.04, on a system that dual boots Windows

After temporarily mounting an NTFS partition to retrieve files backed up, before reinstall of Linux, I saw that it remounted itself, and the partition manager shows a solid mount point, even when unmounted.

Looking in fstab, I did not see this mounting information, but I did find some auto-mounting options in Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices, where I unchecked everything.

Unselecting everything, and unmounting resolved the auto-mount issue, but left the mount point info in place, so here are my questions:

1. What file keeps the disk mounting info as set by the automount settings in system settings?
    2. If I modify my fstab file with specific mounting options for that drive, and others, will it override the automount settings in System Settings?

Because of the dual-booting, I'm extremely picky about what gets mounted, and how. I've always used my fstab file to set mounting options, and this behavior is new to me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by jasoncollege24 View Post
    […]
    2. If I modify my fstab file with specific mounting options for that drive, and others, will it override the automount settings in System Settings? […]
    It should as the fstab entries are mounted during boot (before the GUI is loaded)

PS: I am not sure about Plasma's automount if the partition is set to not mount in fstab and in System Settings it is set to mount - some of the different GUI's automount settings do ignore fstab in this case (but I am not sure if Plasma does honor fstab in this case)…
    Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Feb 28, 2023, 05:51 PM. Reason: added PS
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I was hoping that was the case. I'll test it for sure next time I boot to Linux. Probably tonight, and I'll post an update. Thanks!

Edit: fstab does indeed override these settings. Thanks for the help!
      Last edited by jasoncollege24; Mar 01, 2023, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X