This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change network vpn icon

Hi, guys! Is it possible to change network icon in system tray or part of it e.g. lock symbol when VPN is connected? Maybe i can change icon color preferably lock sign color.

​​
    Operating System: Kubuntu 22.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.24.7
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.92.0
    Qt Version: 5.15.3
    Kernel Version: 5.15.0-58-generic (64-bit)
    Graphics Platform: X11

Originally posted by Andrey View Post
    Is it possible to change network icon in system tray or part of it e.g. lock symbol when VPN is connected?
    Not as far as I can tell, unless maybe you have manually created or imported a VPN connection using OpenVPN or Wireguaurd or similar and have connect to that. I haven't done that in ages, and can't recall if the icon is different there or not.. There IS a separate icon for it, but that is for the actual VPN connection, not for your physical connection.

Ok, so yes, it will add a lock icon, if you have separate VPN connections via Network Manager. This won't happen using many third party applications supplied by VPN providers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20230207_090154.png
Views:	203
Size:	114.9 KB
ID:	668350

Comment

Maybe through themes? I found that some themes change the network icon and provide the nm-vpn-lock.svg icon. I tried to change it, but nothing on the panel changed.

Comment

BTW, the icon in the system tray can vary with the height of the panel it's in.
        For example, with a panel height of 39:

Name:	p39.png
Views:	184
Size:	439 Bytes
ID:	668355
        with a panel height of 40:

Name:	p40.png
Views:	190
Size:	694 Bytes
ID:	668357
        The little 80 is showing the speed of the wifi connection, I think.
        Attached Files
        Regards, John Little

Comment

I found why nm-vpn-lock.svg not work, it is file for GNOME (((

Comment

it is file for GNOME (((
            Not correct. It's an image file (.svg [scalable vector graphics]). It's not limited to GNOME.
            Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 07, 2023, 12:59 PM.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Maybe through themes? I found that some themes change the network icon and provide the nm-vpn-lock.svg icon. I tried to change it, but nothing on the panel changed.
              What sort of VPN connection are you using?
              How are you connecting to it? This does matter in terms of how the system sees the connection.
              I normally use PIA fo my VPN, and using their software bypasses all this. No lock icon overlay, nada. Many providers' software can behave like this.
              Manually creating an OpenVPN connection (importing an ovpn file and modifying some settings), then connecting to this as well as my WiFi/Ethernet, the lock icon appears, as seen in my image. Those are the stock Breeze icons.
              Last edited by claydoh; Feb 07, 2023, 02:06 PM.

Comment

i use OpenVPN connection imported from .ovpn file. I connect to it manually or automatically with option "auto connect" from wired connection setting.

Name:	2023-02-08-12-07.png
Views:	196
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	668383

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  Not correct. It's an image file (.svg [scalable vector graphics]). It's not limited to GNOME.
                  Of course it is an image file, i mean that file name specific for GNOME and will be using by GNOM, and unfortunately not using by KDE.

Comment

i mean that file name specific for GNOME
                    Based on what? If you think nm (nm-vpn-lock.svg) means Gnome, you are incorrect. It stands for networkmanager.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It seems that your icon theme does not have or use the icons for this, is my guess. Your Gnome icon might be usable, if you rename it and place it in the right paces.
                      Or try a different icon set that has these icons included.

Actually, I forget things:
                      It is an overlay, not a separate icon. Look at /usr/share/icons/breeze/emblems/ for examples from the stock Breeze icon theme. If your theme doesn't have one called emblem-readonly, or even have an emblems folder at all, then you might try copying the breeze one to the same file path for your current theme, and see if it works, maybe.

Comment

Working...
                      X