This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] A Few Final Issues to Solve

Hey guys, long time, no chat. That's mostly because everything has been working awesome for a few years. However, I've finally had to upgrade to Kubuntu 22.04 and after doing so I've run into some issues that I simply can't solve, and google isn't helping. Here's the list, and what I'd love to see happen if possible.

1. Konsole - When I copy something and paste it in konsole, if the item has line feeds, it no longer honors those. For example, if I paste this into konsole, it just highlights them, but does nothing until I hit return, and only then does it honor the feeds, but in a rather odd way. Here's one example I used for testing:

echo hello
    echo time
    echo place

I can paste that block into konsole and it not only highlights it, but it also doesn't run each command on a separate line when I do. (xterm gives me the same behavior, so it may not be a konsole issue) If I ssh into my remote server, the desired behavior occurs. When I do it locally, it does not. The same behavior is noticed when I ssh to a second Kubuntu box. IE, line feed is ignored until return is pressed. The only real difference between the two workstations and the remote server is that the workstations are both Kubuntu 22.04, and the remote server is CentOS7. So not sure if that comes into play or not. Anyhow, I have no idea how to fix that, and if it's just editing .bashrc or .bash_profile thing to resolve that.
    SOLVED!

2. Also Konsole - When I paste into terminal, the line is highlighted. I'd like it to not do that. Inversely, when I highlight something, the highlighting is very faint, and hard to read. I'd love that it be bright and easy to read like before. I've looked at the profile colors, but I'm not sure which one changes that. Mostly solved. The rest requires a higher version of bash?

3. Desktop Shortcuts - Okay, this one's weird as it works fine on my one workstation, but not the other. Anyhow, TLDR. On the one that's working, with Krusader, if I change the icon in the KDE app menu, it changes it on the taskbar. It flat out ignores any changes I make on the main workstation when updating the app menu. I did get it to work on the desktop icon, but not in the app menu. I prefer using the old blue Krusader icon to designate Krusader, and I got it working on two other machines now, but my main desktop has had an issue with desktop icons displaying correctly since install. I can change the icon to what I want, and it says it takes it, but nothing actually changes, and if I go back to the icon, it's the default krusader_user icon, the one that looks like an icon version of Krusader itself rather than the blue icon of old. I've had several other desktop shortcuts do this as well. Not sure what's wrong here. I did do some looking around and I found this shortcut that I think is part of the app menu, and it has the right info in it, but KDE isn't honoring it for some reason:

/home/raiden/.local/share/applications/org.kde.krusader.desktop

Ideas on how to resolve this weird issue are welcome.
    SOLVED! Had to edit /usr/share/applications/org.kde.krusader.desktop and set Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/krusader_user.png WII!

4. Login screen - In 20.04 I could set my user icon in SDDM by setting it in my user. It's not working in 22.04. Lock screen with custom user icon works fine. Login still shows the default Kubuntu wheel icon for the user, and I also can't set a custom background for the login screen either. Not sure how to force that to be my installed user icon, or change the background. I changed it in settings, but it just reverts back to default, so not sure what's going on there. SOLVED!

5. Gwenview - I used to have a black background on that app. Now it's blazing white. Any chance to change that background color on directory view?

Anyhow, that's all I can think of right now that needs resolving, as I already solved the other items. If there's already other threads that resolve these, and I missed it, please let me know. Thanks.
    Last edited by megosdog; Feb 07, 2023, 04:57 PM.

Originally posted by megosdog View Post
    […]
    4. Login screen - In 20.04 I could set my user icon in SDDM by setting it in my user. It's not working in 22.04. Lock screen with custom user icon works fine. Login still shows the default Kubuntu wheel icon for the user, and I also can't set a custom background for the login screen either. Not sure how to force that to be my installed user icon, or change the background. I changed it in settings, but it just reverts back to default, so not sure what's going on there.[…]
    Did you check .face and .face.icon in your $HOME?
    Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
    Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
    install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

Perfect, that solves # 4 WOO! Thank you!

Comment

1. Konsole - When I copy something and paste it in konsole, if the item has line feeds, it no longer honors those...
        That's bash "bracketed paste mode" in action. IME it's usually a good thing, but you can turn it off for bash in your .inputrc with
        Code:
        set enable-bracketed-paste off
        2. Also Konsole - When I paste into terminal, the line is highlighted. I'd like it to not do that.
        Again, that's a bash feature. zsh and dash don't do it (at least with my settings). In bash 5.2 one can turn it off, but in 22.04 we've got bash 5.1.16.
        Last edited by jlittle; Feb 02, 2023, 06:50 PM.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

5. Gwenview
          Right-click on the background while viewing an image (my usual first line of attack hehe) and you will see the options for this.

It will be under the 'View" menu, if one has enabled the full menu bar, as well as the three-bar-menu >> More >> View
          You still can only change this when viewing an image, it seems.

Otherwise, the background is sharing your chosen system color scheme settings by default, like Dolphin and other applications.

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post

That's bash "bracketed paste mode" in action. IME it's usually a good thing, but you can turn it off for bash in your .inputrc with
            Code:
            set enable-bracketed-paste off
            Again, that's a bash feature. zsh and dash don't do it (at least with my settings). In bash 5.2 one can turn it off, but in 20.04 we've got bash 5.1.16.
            Perfect, that worked! WOO! Also, how do we upgrade to 5.2, or is that a nono that will break stuff?

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Right-click on the background while viewing an image (my usual first line of attack hehe) and you will see the options for this.

It will be under the 'View" menu, if one has enabled the full menu bar, as well as the three-bar-menu >> More >> View
            You still can only change this when viewing an image, it seems.

Otherwise, the background is sharing your chosen system color scheme settings by default, like Dolphin and other applications.
            I didn't see the same thing. But, when I clicked on the white space next to the image I got a "Background Color Mode" which did what I needed. Thanks!!

Comment

Also, how do we upgrade to 5.2, or is that a nono that will break stuff?
              bash 5.2 is in 22.10, but maybe you want to stick with 22.04 LTS. AFAICT it's not in the Jammy backports.

Not so much a no-no as unwise, as so much relies on bash. It would be too easy to break something essential in Kubuntu. However, one can build the latest bash 5.2 and run it as your shell instead; IIRC I did that when bash 4.0 was released. I tried to clone the git repository:
              Code:
              git clone git://git.savannah.gnu.org/bash.git
              but that was really slow, it took 20 minutes to get to 45% and I gave up. Instead, I downloaded the tarball from http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/bas...ash-5.2.tar.gz, extracted it to ~build/bash-5.2, and
              Code:
              sudo apt build-dep bash
              cd ~/build/bash-5.2
              ./configure
              make
              now running ~/build/bash-5.2/bash gets me bash 5.2.

I did it to see if it would work; for me not really worth it for a minor version bump. Using the tarball means it's not updated; with the git repo one just runs git pull in the directory occasionally, or to get some bug fix. That the build worked no trouble from the tarball suggests that if you had the patience to wait for the git clone, and don't mind the space used by the git history, it would build ok.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Ah, gotcha, okay. So hands off until, and only if, they backport to 22.04. Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

Good news! I finally solved the user icon issue for Krusader! I was digging around and sorta accidentally discovered that I had to edit /usr/share/applications/org.kde.krusader.desktop and set Icon=/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/krusader_user.png for it to work. WII!

The funny irony of all this is now I discovered a new issue. ROFL! But it's nothing you guys can help me with. Apparently in Krusader 2.7.2, which comes with 22.04.x there's a bug that prevents it from doing archives with the right click menu. That's fixed in 2.7.3, but I'm to guess that the updated version, which is only on the main dev channel, and unlikely to be backported, solves that issue. Meh, oh well. It's not like I've gone and forgotten how to tar.gz from CLI. I'm just kinda lazy. Anyhow, thank you guys for all your help! You've been amazing.

Comment

Working...
                  X