No announcement yet.

Roll back to 22.04.1 Default Plasma . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Roll back to 22.04.1 Default Plasma . .

HUGE thanks to claydoh for the help and support! God bless ya, man -- I sure appreciate your help.

Hi Gang,
    Per Kubuntu's own news page, I updated Plasma to 5.25.5 using the 'Backports'. Most nearly everything seems to still be working ok, with (so far) one major exception. My desktop shortcuts no longer work. I have KDE configured to double-click to open/launch files and folders. My desktop shortcuts don't work whether they are ones I created myself, or simply ones I've added by right-clicking on any of the items from the KDE "start menu". Everything was working great before I foolishly updated to a supposedly newer and better build of Plasma. How do I roll my system back to the original version of KDE plasma from 22.04.1?

Thanks very much for your help.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 01, 2023, 06:51 PM.

Use the command ppa-purge to 'roll back. it is used in a way similar to the add-apt-repository command you used when following these instructions to add the to add the kubuntu-backports-extra ppa,​

So, in this case: sudo ppa-purge ppa:kubuntu-ppa/backports-extra
    This will remove the backports-extra PPA containing Plasma 5.25 and downgrade all the relevant packages back top Plasma 5.24.x
    Note, the normal kubuntu-backports PPA is safe to keep here. It does not provide major Plasma version upgrades on LTS releases.

As per usual. good backups are highly recommended. While ppa-purge usually works just fine, there is always a chance it does not, or your desktop problem is actually related to some other issue.

Comment

Thanks very much. I will give that a try.
      Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Use the command ppa-purge to 'roll back. it is used in a way similar to the add-apt-repository command you used when following these instructions to add the to add the kubuntu-backports-extra ppa,​

This will remove the backports-extra PPA containing Plasma 5.25 and downgrade all the relevant packages back top Plasma 5.24.x
      Note, the normal kubuntu-backports PPA is safe to keep here. It does not provide major Plasma version upgrades on LTS releases.

As per usual. good backups are highly recommended. While ppa-purge usually works just fine, there is always a chance it does not, or your desktop problem is actually related to some other issue.

Comment

I gave those commands a try, but it didn't roll my system back - it's still at Plasma 5.25.5. Awwww.

Comment

Originally posted by BrotherCharles View Post
          I gave thos commands a try, but it didn't roll my system back - it's still at Plasma 5.25.5. Awwww.

What did it show in the terminal? Did it list a bunch of things to downgrade? errors, or anything at all?

You will need to at least log out after any packages are downgraded for changes to take effect, same as when you upgraded.

You *are* on Kubuntu 22.04, and followed these instructions to get Plasma 5,25, correct?
          https://kubuntu.org/news/plasma-5-25...lable-via-ppa/
          Last edited by claydoh; Jan 01, 2023, 05:13 PM.

Comment

Yessir, I'm using Kubuntu 22.04.1. Yes, I followed the instructions found at that link.
            I was getting an error about the deb.teamviewer ppa I had installed. I disabled that and tried the purge fix you advised - it seems to be doing a truckload of work this time.
            I'll post back and let you know how it turns out. I have a slow internet connection here so this will no doubt take longer for me than it would for most users. Thanks so much for your time and effort to help me -- greatly appreciated.

** EDIT **
            Yay! It worked this time. I had to reboot my system and everything seems to be just as it was before things went south on me. My desktop shortcuts are working just fine n' dandy now.

What did it show in the terminal?

You *are* on Kubuntu 22.04, and followed these instructions to get Plasma 5,25?
            https://kubuntu.org/news/plasma-5-25...lable-via-ppa/
            Last edited by BrotherCharles; Jan 01, 2023, 05:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X