updated and now have no desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] updated and now have no desktop

After updating yesterday I have no desktop when I started my machine today. Clicking anywhere in the "black void" does nothing and my taskbar icons are not where they are suppose to be, as shown in image. There are 2 new icons on the taskbar replacing the Firefox and Dolphin icons, they are displayed in the second and third images. I updated using cli and did notice that the process was going to remove some plasma files and I proceeded figuring it knew more about what it was doing than I did. Note: doing updates through cli now has automatic hold back of files as well as removal, never did that in the previous version.
    Not sure how to go about getting things back to "normal"
    Thank you kindly,
    Attached Files
    System:
    MSI X299 Tomahawk
    Intel i7-7800X 6 core
    Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

You are able to get to a CLI? If 'yes', try running sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It looks like part of the upgrade did not complete properly can you get to a terminal?
      If so issue this command and see if that works.
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Without knowing what was installed and removed, it will be difficult to say what is going on.

/var/apt/history.log should reveal the specifics.

Held packages is normal. Debian added a new feature to Apt called Phased Updates that Ubuntu has started using, where certain package updates go out to users in small batches, instead of all at once.

Package removals can happen in any update, but more likely with something upgraded, and needs something new that supercedes something old. It could be as simple as KoolApp1 used to use LibDooHickey1 but it now uses LibThingaMajig2, and these are things that can't co-exist, and one has to go. It is not unusual, and is not a new thing at all in, debian packaging at least.

Try installing the meta-package kubuntu-desktop or plasma-desktop, to try and install whatever missing plasma bits were removed. The errors might help, if it doesn't get you back up and running.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
          You are able to get to a CLI? If 'yes', try running sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop
          Worked a charm, thank you my friend

To kc1di and claydoh thanks for the reply
          Last edited by Scorpa54; Nov 23, 2022, 02:49 PM.
          System:
          MSI X299 Tomahawk
          Intel i7-7800X 6 core
          Asus Nvidia GeForce GTX1060 6GB​

Comment

Originally posted by Scorpa54 View Post

Worked a charm, thank you my friend

To kc1di and claydoh thanks for the reply
            Glad you got it sorted
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Working...
            X