No announcement yet.

Language system settings - Not all translations for this language are installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language system settings - Not all translations for this language are installed

Hello everyone . I have made a clean install of Kubuntu and I have noticed a message at the Language system settings.
    There is a small icon that notify me that : Not all translations for this language are installed. Use the install missing packages button to download and install all missing packages.
    Every time I pressed the button nothing happens (try to start but stops and the icon remains same)
    My languages seems to work well but is this a bug??
    Thank you in advanced.

I have the same problem with the languages German and English.
    Are there any hints for this? Could this be related to the missing language in the spell checker?​

Comment

It waits for you to enter your password, which is sometimes behind another window (at least, that was my case).

Comment

I looked for hidden windows but didn't find any.

Comment

Same problems here (German, British English, American English)… Kubuntu 22.04 (with Backports: Plasma 5.24.7, Frameworks 5.98)

"Not all translations for this language are installed. Use the Install Missing Packages button to download and install all missing packages."

But the button does nothing and there is no "hidden" window for authentification.

With sudo systemsettings5 kcm_translations I was able to add (the already added for the user account) German as my primary language (for root then I guess…) and install the missing packages using the button. After logging out and in again the Install Missing Packages button was gone for German.

But neither for British English nor for American English the Install Missing Packages button worked - even with sudo systemsettings5 kcm_translations

I got the following output in Konsole:
          Code:
          […]
          org.kde.kcm_translations: Not all missing packages managed to resolve! ("gimp-help-en",
          "libreoffice-help-en-us") ("gimp-help-en;2.10.0-1;all;ubuntu-jammy-universe",
          "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main",
          "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.6-0ubuntu0.22.04.2;all;ubuntu-jammy-security-main",
          "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.2-0ubuntu2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main")
          […]
          org.kde.kcm_translations: Not all missing packages managed to resolve! ("gimp-help-en",
          "hunspell-en-gb", "hyphen-en-gb", "libreoffice-help-en-gb", "libreoffice-l10n-en-gb",
          "thunderbird-locale-en-gb") ("gimp-help-en;2.10.0-1;all;ubuntu-jammy-universe",
          "hunspell-en-gb;1:7.2.0-2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main", "hyphen-en-gb;1:7.2.0-2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main",
          "libreoffice-help-en-gb;1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main",
          "libreoffice-help-en-gb;1:7.3.6-0ubuntu0.22.04.2;all;ubuntu-jammy-security-main",
          "libreoffice-help-en-gb;1:7.3.2-0ubuntu2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main",
          "libreoffice-l10n-en-gb;1:7.3.7-0ubuntu0.22.04.1;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main",
          "libreoffice-l10n-en-gb;1:7.3.6-0ubuntu0.22.04.2;all;ubuntu-jammy-security-main",
          "libreoffice-l10n-en-gb;1:7.3.2-0ubuntu2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main",
          "thunderbird-locale-en-gb;1:102.4.2+build2-0ubuntu0.22.04.1;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main",
          "thunderbird-locale-en-gb;1:91.8.0+build2-0ubuntu1;all;ubuntu-jammy-main")
          […]
          apt policy gimp-help-en libreoffice-help-en-us hunspell-en-gb hyphen-en-gb libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-gb indeed showed that those packages were not installed…

I really don't know if it is a good idea to mess with the languages/translations GUI of System Settings when started with sudo

But at least you can get the information of what else is missing (and is not able to be installed by the Install Missing Packages button, no matter if sudo or not).

So: sudo apt install gimp-help-en libreoffice-help-en-us hunspell-en-gb hyphen-en-gb libreoffice-help-en-gb libreoffice-l10n-en-gb thunderbird-locale-en-gb - and the Install Missing Packages buttons for British English and American English were gone too.​
          Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Dec 15, 2022, 06:46 AM. Reason: typos
          Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
          Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
          install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I've got the same problem - at the "American English" there is a red exclamation symbol, and when I'm clicking on "Install missing packages" - nothing happens, on the command line output I see the lines:
            Code:
            org.kde.kcm_translations: Not all missing packages managed to resolve! ("gimp-help-en", "libreoffice-help-en-us", "t[/COLOR]
            hunderbird-locale-en-us") ("gimp-help-en;2.10.0-1;all;ubuntu-jammy-universe", "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.7-0ubunt
            u0.22.04.2;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main", "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.6-0ubuntu0.22.04.2;all;ubuntu-jammy-securit
            y-main", "libreoffice-help-en-us;1:7.3.2-0ubuntu2;all;ubuntu-jammy-main", "thunderbird-locale-en-us;1:102.7.1+build2
            -0ubuntu0.22.04.1;all;ubuntu-jammy-updates-main", "thunderbird-locale-en-us;1:91.8.0+build2-0ubuntu1;all;ubuntu-jamm
            y-main")
            ​
            Any ideas how to resolve this?

Comment

My memory i fading on how I did this, perhaps it was:

Code:
              sudo apt install language-pack-kde-en language-selector-common
              and/or:

Code:
              sudo apt install $(check-language-support

Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

At least language-selector-common is automatically installed by kubuntu-desktop, so it should be automatically present in any Kubuntu installation - Beerislife but perhaps you are tracking down another solution…

I think the situation with uninstallable missing language packages could be a bug in (Kubuntu's?) Plasma 5.24 - in Plasma 5.27 (e.g. in Kubuntu 22.10 with backports) it works as it should (the GUI/mechanics are a bit different due to Plasma 5.27, though).

My workaround for Kubuntu 22.04 installations with Plasma 5.24 (and backports) still is to
                1. find out which language packages are missing: in Konsole enter systemsettings5 kcm_translations
                2. in GUI now individually click on the "Install Missing Packages" buttons once and quit the System Settings module
                3. look in Konsole's output for "org.kde.kcm_translations: Not all missing packages managed to resolve!" and note the missing packages mentioned within the first brackets directly afterwards
                4. individually install them in Konsole (sudo apt install missing-package-1 missing-package-2 …)
                5. log out and in again or reboot
                Last edited by Schwarzer Kater; Apr 24, 2023, 06:06 AM.
                Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
                Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap script (20.04 +)reinstall Snap for release-upgrade script (20.04 +)
                install traditional Firefox script (22.04 +)​ • install traditional Thunderbird script (24.04)

Comment

I have no problem now with my British English install or Japanese language packs in Neon but I can't remember how I fixed it. I still have that weird locale setting but since nothing is broken I'm ignoring it. I think the OP would be better off installing the required languages in a Terminal rather than relying on Discover.
                  Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
                  X