Link to Location not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Link to Location not working

After having some issues with upgrading from 20.04 decided to do a fresh install of 22.04. Encountered a weird issue in the fresh install that I can't figure out. In folder view, if you right click on the desktop you get the usual drop down menu. If you go to Create New > Link to Location(URL), I'm able to create a link to any desired location and after configuring the link location a desktop icon appears on the desktop for the link. However, if you click on the link, nothing happens. Expected behavior, dolphin should open at the link configured location. It seems to be some permission problem but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to get it to work.
    Note, if I go to Create New > Link to File or Directory, I can again create a desktop icon for the location and it works as expected but the desktop icon has that chain link on it which I don't like the look of. Also, the "Link to Location(URL)" works in 20.04 and in 22.04 when upgraded from 20.04 but not in a fresh install of 22.04. Points to some configuration issue or missing package which gives this functionality in 22.04. Any suggestions on how to correct this annoying problem would be appreciated.

The first thing I recommend is to verify that Dolphin is set up to open the links. Go to System Settings>File Associations. In the "known types" list, click on Inode>Directory. Check to make sure Dolphin is the only option in the list. You can delete all others. I also included an image of the embedding tab options for reference. If this is not set up correctly, Dolphin will not open when clicking those URL links on the desktop. If that is not the issue, please post back and we can help you troubleshoot further.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	File1.png Views:	0 Size:	148.5 KB ID:	664219 Click image for larger version  Name:	file2.png Views:	0 Size:	182.6 KB ID:	664220
    Last edited by rab0171610; Jul 15, 2022, 05:10 PM.

Comment

Thanks for responding. Set up my inode file associations exactly as you depicted. In the general tab, there were several other applications listed but dolphin was the first entry. Deleted all the other applications leaving only dolphin. The embedding tab was set up like yours with dolphin first and "Terminal Emulator(konsolepart)" second. Created links still not working but I did notice something unusual when I clicked on the link. After clicking on the link, in the panel a button saying "WSLView" briefly appears. If I click on a link to my home directory made with "Link to File or Directory", dolphin opens to my home directory as expected and the button on the panel says "Home - Dolphin".

Comment

This is bug specific to Ubuntu. It is related to the Windows Subsystem for Linux. What you can do in the mean time is remove the wslu package in a package manager or from the terminal:
        Code:
        sudo apt purge wslu
        To read more about it:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1978842
        which will leadyou here (duplicates):
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...u/+bug/1971757
        and here:
        https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...p/+bug/1971763
        Last edited by rab0171610; Jul 16, 2022, 10:51 AM.

Comment

Purging wslu did the trick! Links to URL are now working properly. Thanks

Comment

Working...
          X