How do create a package from a downloaded program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How do create a package from a downloaded program

As will become obvious I am a total rookie. I downloaded a program and it is in downloads. I gave a place. Every time I try to install it I get "Package could not be found". I am not to sure I am saying the right thing so please help me if you can. Thank you.

Answer this:
    1. What is the name of the program you have downloaded?

2. What is the filename of the program you have downloaded into your downloads folder? example: program.tar.gz or program.deb

Comment

fldigi-4.1.22. fldigi-4.1.22.tar.gz. I used archiver to unpack the tar.gz file and I was told there is an easy way to install the program from there but I have not heard from the person that told me. Any help will be appreciated. Thank you.

Comment

fldigi is in the normal Ubuntu repos, no need to manually download any files and compile the source code (which is what you downloaded)

It may show up in Discover, if you search for it. It didn't for me.

Here is what looks to be a reasonable how-to:
        https://www.hamradioandvision.com/in...digi-for-linux
        Start with step 3, the first two are for old *buntu releases, 16.04 and older. Ignore those steps completely, as the PPA mentioned doesn't provide anything for your version of Kubuntu, and will just cause errors and problems.

This also may be useful info for the software itself, if you need it:
        https://sourceforge.net/p/fldigi/wiki/Home/

If the person helping you suggests that you use Flatpak, this is the page with info:
        https://flathub.org/apps/details/com.w1hkj.fldigi
        You will have to follow the setup guide before installing the software.

Last edited by claydoh; May 15, 2022, 01:30 PM.

Comment

Yes, as claydoh said, i believe it is still in the repositories, even for jammy. So you can open up konsole or your favorite terminal program and use:

sudo apt update
          sudo apt install fldigi

If that doesn't work I would go the flatpak route in Claydoh's answer.
          Good Luck!

Comment

The problem with the fldigi in the repos is that it old as the hills so I want to put the newest version on. I got it with the tar.gz file but I don't know how to do an install from the tar.gz format. I tried the flatpak route and it did not work. As I said erlier, I am a linux rookie. Even my linux elmer can't figure out what is happening.

Comment

So i am at work now. You will have to compile the program and install it. I have the file at home, I will check on this later today. First, you will probably at minimum need build-essential installed:
              sudo apt install build-essential
              I read the readme in the program directory, but it has no build instructions. It may be as simple as being in the fldigi directory in a console and using:
              make
              sudo makeinstall
              I wont be able to find out until I return home though. There are some config files in there so it is possible there will be a configure step before make. Also, there may be some missing libraries and I could not say until I try it. Hopefully someone with firsthand experience can help you before I return home later today to try and figure it out.

Comment

The tar.gz is the source code, it would need to be compiled, and that would be the (fairly) Hard Way.

The INSTALL file has the very basic steps, but would take a fair amount of initial work and learning.
                The README has links to fldigi groups, which may be where you will find better knowledge of this software, or at least the bits you need to install before you can begin attempting to compile the code.

The version in Ubuntu 21.10 is not that ancient, though it is over a year old. If you had installed or upgraded to Jammy, you would have 4.1.20, which is more current.
                Anything newer means you would need to use the Flatpak. which I imagine is that project's preferred installer.
                Last edited by claydoh; May 16, 2022, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Yes, I agree with Claydoh. Flatpak would be the easiest way to install your program. There is no guarantee you would have the access to the right libraries and build environment to build it yourself, and it could be hairy and daunting.
                  Last edited by rab0171610; May 16, 2022, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberteod View Post
                    I tried the flatpak route and it did not work.
                    What does this mean, exactly, specifically?
                    There probably is some setup work needed (serial ports, etc?) that I would have no clue about, not having the necessary radio hardware.

I assume you are aware of this group?
                    https://groups.io/g/linuxham

Apologies for the lack of useful help. This sort of software is much more specialized than our small user base likely has experience with.

Comment

I went back to the beginning. I went to the flat hub site and followed the step to at the bottom of the page and then I downloaded the flatpak repos file. I can't seem to get it all together.

Comment

Originally posted by Roberteod View Post
                        I went back to the beginning. I went to the flat hub site and followed the step to at the bottom of the page and then I downloaded the flatpak repos file. I can't seem to get it all together.
                        What is happening? What errors or messages are you seeing -- those would be helpful to us, so we can know what is happening. Did you follow the setup steps in the link at the top of the page first?

Comment

Working...
                        X