Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to enable Dolphin Root Actions mode in Kubuntu 21.10 ?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to enable Dolphin Root Actions mode in Kubuntu 21.10 ?

Is there a way to either click on a folder and be prompted for root password or maybe run Dolphin as root without resorting to the command line?

There is a choice in MXLinux Dolphin that just says Root Actions and opens up a new Dolphin window as root.

See example of the context menu from MXLinux and it is version 20. Thanks!

You’ll be prompted for your password if/when it’s required when doing things in/with root owned items
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It looks like MX have simply added an older third party context menu plugin, possibly thios one, but it could be a custom one.
      You can download and add these from Dolphin's settings

But as already mentioned, you don't need this for editing editing root-owned files. For deleting and creating, yes.
      And if you look in the right places, there is a command one can use to call Dolphin with sudo privileges, and use that to create a custom dolphin menu entry or launcher.

The need for root action is going away.
      No, really, it is. I have seen it myself, in git version of plasma, where even deleting and creating files prompted a password.
      No idea when it will be in Plasma, as when I saw this, it was when 5.24 was in alpha or beta.
      Last edited by claydoh; Mar 26, 2022, 06:21 AM.

Comment

I believe it's in 5.24 and will be in the Kubuntu LTS release next month.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
          I believe it's in 5.24 and will be in the Kubuntu LTS release next month.
          I am on 5.24.3, and it is not there, yet.

This was me, on Plasma 5.24 pre-release back in January.

Last edited by claydoh; Mar 26, 2022, 10:09 AM.

Comment

I think it will be nice to prompt. I mean it is nice to also allow opening it up in admin mode.

So for now what should the solution be?

Comment

Run this command in the desktop application starter:

pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY XAUTHORITY=$XAUTHORITY KDE_SESSION_VERSION=5 KDE_FULL_SESSION=true dolphin /

DO NOTE the space BEFORE the final /
              Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
              X