Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Touchpad not working even after installing synaptics touchpad drivers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Touchpad not working even after installing synaptics touchpad drivers.

I use a dell inspiron 15r and I've tried Zorin os and elementary os before installing kubuntu, all of them had the same issue, my touchpad doesn't work. with kubuntu, it was kinda working when I was installing Kubuntu (I could move the cursor but couldn't click/tap anything), but now after installation, it doesn't work at all. I have installed synaptic touchpad driver through
    sudo apt install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics
    but it didn't work either, It used to work perfectly fine when I was on Windows 10/

my kernel version is
    kernel is 5.13.0-35-generic x86_64

and Kubuntu is
    Kubuntu 21.10

results for lsusb

Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 005: ID 0bda:58c2 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. Integrated Webcam HD
    Bus 001 Device 004: ID 0bda:0129 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTS5129 Card Reader Controller
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp. Centrino Bluetooth Wireless Transceiver
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 005: ID 13fd:0840 Initio Corporation INIC-1618L SATA
    Bus 003 Device 004: ID 093a:2510 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Optical Mouse
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

results for xinput list

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
    ⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎜ ↳ PixArt USB Optical Mouse id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
    ⎣ Virtual core keyboard id=3 [master keyboard (2)]
    ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard id=5 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=6 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=7 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Power Button id=8 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Video Bus id=9 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Laptop_Integrated_Webcam_HD: In id=11 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ Dell WMI hotkeys id=12 [slave keyboard (3)]
    ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard id=13 [slave keyboard (3)]

screenshot of my settings page where it shows my touchpad is not found.

This isn't helpful at all, but I have the opposite problem! One of the first things I did upon receipt of my new laptop was to install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics so I could 'disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in' (it's actually a Trackman trackball). Despite numerous shutdowns/reboots, uninstalls/reinstalls of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, I DON'T HAVE the extra settings/tabs it's supposed to add to SS!
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Originally posted by DoYouKubuntu View Post
      Despite numerous shutdowns/reboots, uninstalls/reinstalls of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics, I DON'T HAVE the extra settings/tabs it's supposed to add to SS!
      In the this topic I stated:
      Under Plasma (Wayland), there is a missing configuration setting in Touchpad (System Settings > Input Devices) that is an ABSOLUTE MUST HAVE for me, and that's the Enable/Disable Touchpad. It includes the setting: Disable touchpad when mouse is plugged in
      Are you using Plasma (Wayland) for your SDDM Login? That is at least one explanation as to why you aren't seeing the expected extra Tab/Settings.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
        In the this topic I stated:

Are you using Plasma (Wayland) for your SDDM Login? That is at least one explanation as to why you aren't seeing the expected extra Tab/Settings.
        Why, yes, as a matter of fact...I am. By doing so, I finally got ONE of my two chosen splash screens to appear. I had no idea that would affect the touchpad extras. It didn't strike me as peculiar--at first--that the extras weren't appearing, because I recalled that in the past, it took multiple reboots and/or uninstalls/reinstalls of xserver-xorg-input-synaptics before it finally showed up in SS. I figured it was just taking extra long this time.
        Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
        X