This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] video viewers

I have recently downloaded Bino and Deepin to compare with my extant VLC. Somewhat to my surprise, I find I have also got mpv which has usurped the other three to become my default viewer. I am more curious than concerned, but how can that have happened? And where do I go to reset that default? Been looking for a config file but not found one.
    Last edited by Keith Sayers; Mar 14, 2022, 03:53 AM.

Have you tried System Settings, Applications, File Associations?
    sigpic

Comment

Also right-clicking on the media files select properties -> File Type Options

Comment

Have you tried System Settings, Applications, File Associations?

That gets me : open http and https URLs
        ʘ in an application based on the contents of the URL
        O in the following application
        Firefox Web Browser
        O with the following coding

- so the top line is active

Also right-clicking on the media files select properties -> File Type Options

That gets me :
        O Show file in an embedded viewer
        O Show file in separate viewer
        ʘ use settings for 'application' group

- so here the bottom line is active (for all three)

I am toying with deleting the mpv just to see what happens

Comment

Right click on a video file and select the bottom option 'Properties' It should show the default viewer application and to the right of that a 'Change' button...
          Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Options show that you have no application associated with the file type. Click the +Add button in the dialog box and assign Been, Deepin, VLC or what ever you prefer to use. You can assign multiples with the first one being the default.

Comment

Thank you all, that has solved it - opened one video file, went to File Type Options, found there the priorities list for opening software, moved Bino to the top - and then found that all other video files had similarly been changed. But that does seem to mean that somewhere there is a controllable parameter, which should be available for direct access .....

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                Thank you all, that has solved it - opened one video file, went to File Type Options, found there the priorities list for opening software, moved Bino to the top - and then found that all other video files had similarly been changed. But that does seem to mean that somewhere there is a controllable parameter, which should be available for direct access .....
                Yes, there is--and it should be available following the path GerardV posted earlier, i.e., Main Menu | Settings | System Settings | Applications | File Associations. From there, open the 'video' entry from the list, choose the type (such as mp4), and then adjust your settings on the right. From what you posted above...that's not what you should be seeing by following this path. Here's what it should look like:

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot_20220314_141656.png
Views:	104
Size:	264.4 KB
ID:	661418
                Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

> Yes, there is ....
                  Found it - thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Keith Sayers View Post
                    > Yes, there is ....
                    Found it - thank you.
                    Great! You're welcome.
                    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
                    X