This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Problems after upgrade to Plasma 5.24

Has anyone else tried the upgrade to Plasma 5.24 from the Backports PPA?

I've had a bunch of issues since doing it yesterday. Firstly, it caused problems with my akonadi database (I still use kontact/kmail), which was fixed by deleting my ~/.local/share/akonadi/ directory (thanks to a tip found on the Manjaro forums).

Now I have a strange issue where Plasma apps won't start by clicking on their icons on the taskbar or launcher, and also by filetype if clicking on a file in Dolphin. This only appears after the desktop has been running for a while i.e. if I start the app immediately after logging in then it works. They will start from krunner, and the problem doesn't seem to affect non-Plasma apps like firefox of libreoffice.

Anyone else tried it?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 17, 2022, 12:24 PM.

I have not experienced anything similar on my Impish desktop with 5.24, though I don't use Kontact, and haven't for many years now, due Akonadi's flakiness, and needing to reset the database somewhat regularly. After akonadi updates/upgrades, in particular.

I suspect that the Plasma upgrade itself probably was not-responsible for this, as this is updated separately from Akonadi/KDEPIM, so if you had added the PPA *before* Plasma 5.24 came out, you probably would have seen this problem happen sooner than your Plasma desktop issues, as Akonadi/kdepim were updated before Plasma 5.24 was added to the PPA.

Comment

And I'm not having any issues with Plasma 5.24.0 either. I'm not on Impish; I'm running Jammy; but like claydoh, I don't have KMail et al installed either.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Plasma 5.24 is working well here also no problems to speak of. Of course I'm also using 22.04 daily which is looking very good
        Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Thanks everyone for responding. Regarding akonadi and kontact, I stick with it because all my PIM data is in there and I've learned to live with and manage it's flakiness!

Yesterday brought a bunch of updates from the backports PPA, and my issues with the launcher and taskbar seem to have gone away, so fingers crossed....
          Last edited by bendy; Feb 20, 2022, 02:02 AM.

Comment

Yep, Amarok is giving me the error "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown" when trying to start it from taskbar. Gimp, Dolphin or Firefox work OK, though...

Comment

Originally posted by Fernando View Post
              Amarok
              Amarok?

Comment

I'm running Plasma 25.4.1 on KDE Neon and I've noticed some issues.
                If any service (man-db, for example) continues loading after the desktop appears then the mouse won't activate anything I click on in the panel or the KDE Menu itself. When that service finishes the mouse works.
                IF I have my headphones plugged in when I boot the sound is heard in both the headphones and from the laptop speakers. If I unplug and replug the headphones the speakers go silent, and the sound is heard only in the headphones, as it should.
                There's a couple more, and one I posted to launchpad, but I don't remember what they were right now. Maybe later.
                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                X