Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Issue with logging in specific app ( minecraft launcher )

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Issue with logging in specific app ( minecraft launcher )

Hello,

What happens :
    When I start minecraft launcher ( official deb got from minecraft.net ) the kdewallet asks for my password to unlock the wallet.
    I put the password in, the wallet unlocks, but still I have to login with my account/passwd each time I first start the game after the pc has booted.
    If I close the launcher and start it again, then I won't have to login again. But if I reboot or stop/start the pc then I will have to login.

What I tried :
    Deleting the first wallet, creating a new one, starting the launcher with the new one, rebooting, reinstalling the launcher.

Thanks for your help

Here is what I had to do to solve that issue with MineCraft. Note, I have no clue how this effects other KDE apps that rely on KWallet. I just know I was tired of always logging into Minecraft after being forced to switch to MS Log In methodology.

What I did I had to install gnome-keyring.

Reason? After much research, many months, it really comes down to how Minecraft has evolved. Although they state that any key ring like KWallet will work, Minecraft is specifically looking for one which is GNome's version. Why? Because MS has partnered with Canonical for Ubuntu and their base DM system, not Kubuntu's KDE. I have choice words for that practice, but that has always been MS standard business practice and unfortunately extended into Ubuntu. I'm sure I'll have some one come back and say otherwise, but current facts state it as so.

Comment

Thank you for your answer, it is reassuring to see that this is not only on my end !
      With what you told me I've looked differently on the web and it seems other distros have had this issue ( search with "manjaro + how-do-i-get-gnome-keyring-to-work-on-kde-plasma" ) ( can't post links sorry )
      However I just looked and it seems I do have
      gnome-keyring/impish,now 40.0-1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]

Is there a specific step to begin using it ? Since it was already installed I guess it should have picked the credentials by now shouldn't it ?
      The process is running well :
      $ ps -e | grep keyring
      10835 ? 00:00:00 gnome-keyring-d

Comment

Let me see if I can find what lead me to that and I'll put it here.

EDIT: Ok, here is what finally lead me to install that. It's is Mojang themselves that kind of shows that other distros not Ubuntu need to install that. Althought Kubuntu is Ubuntu with the KDE front-end, it still holds it is geared directly at Ubuntu/Gnome.

Also, be sure to reboot after that install if you didn't.
        Last edited by MoonRise; Jan 22, 2022, 11:21 AM.

Comment

The first thing I did after I installed KDE Neon was to install the deb Minecraft launcher package I had kept on hand. It wouldn't work, and getting that package:
          wget https://launcher.mojang.com/download/Minecraft.deb.
          doesn't give the old java jar launcher.

It seems that I had to migrate my Mojang account to Microsoft before I could run Minecraft again by installing "minecraft-launcher" from the snap store. I don't have snap on my system. Having downloaded Minecraft.deb for the java version from the Minecraft store:
          https://www.minecraft.net/en-us/download

and running it, it now installs "minecraft-launcher".
          $ sudo dpkg -i Minecraft.deb
          [sudo] password for jerry:
          (Reading database ... 395510 files and directories currently installed.)
          Preparing to unpack Minecraft.deb ...
          Unpacking minecraft-launcher (928) over (928) ...
          Setting up minecraft-launcher (928) ...
          Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils (0.24-1ubuntu3) ...
          Processing triggers for mime-support (3.64ubuntu1) ...
          Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme (0.17-2) ...
          Here's the news about logins:
          https://snapcraft.io/install/launche...necraft/ubuntu

Another annoying factor is that when you enter your login name you can't use the saved logins from your browser because the password is entered on a second dialog box. Typical M$ run-around.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 24, 2022, 08:11 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Okay I had to dig a bit but it's finally working !
            In journalctl every time I had to unlock the wallet there was this entry :
            gnome-keyring-daemon[3270]: asked to register item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/xx, but it's already registered
            In order to deal with gnome keyring I installed seahorse and launched it from cli with `seahorse`, there I removed every entry in "Password/Login" and rebooted.
            First time I launched minecraft again I had to unlock the wallet, login with the minecraft launcher, and now at each boot I don't even have to unlock the wallet : I log into the minecraft launcher automatically !
            Thanks for your help, have a great day

GreyGeek I did not tried to use other lauchers than mojang's, I wanted it to work wit the official deb, and plus I try to avoid using snap if I can. But that's maybe a way to go, thanks for the idea !
            Last edited by batou; Jan 28, 2022, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• Snowhog
              Snowhog commented
              Editing a comment
              Good job sleuthing it out! You can mark this thread as SOLVED by editing your first post then selecting [SOLVED] from the picklist to the left of the thread title.

Originally posted by batou View Post
            Okay I had to dig a bit but it's finally working !
            In journalctl every time I had to unlock the wallet there was this entry :
            gnome-keyring-daemon[3270]: asked to register item /org/freedesktop/secrets/collection/login/xx, but it's already registered
            In order to deal with gnome keyring I installed seahorse and launched it from cli with `seahorse`, there I removed every entry in "Password/Login" and rebooted.
            First time I launched minecraft again I had to unlock the wallet, login with the minecraft launcher, and now at each boot I don't even have to unlock the wallet : I log into the minecraft launcher automatically !
            Thanks for your help, have a great day

GreyGeek I did not tried to use other lauchers than mojang's, I wanted it to work wit the official deb, and plus I try to avoid using snap if I can. But that's maybe a way to go, thanks for the idea !
            Even though I use the Mincraft.deb package downloaded from the Miinecraft.org store, using the "Debian" button, after I installed it I always get the annoying "something is wrong with your login" msg, which is because Minecraft-Launcher doesn't see snap. But it doesn't stop me from reaching the actual MC displays screen after passing through 5 previous dialogs each time. The first dialog has me click on my MC name. The second dialog asks me for my email address, the third dialog asks me for my MC password, the fourth dialog just gives me a button to push. I have no clue what it is supposed to do. The fifth button dialog says "Let's go!". The MC app itself loads. The sixth dialog is the MC screen where you can log in as a single player, server login, create or edit a map, etc. Putting my email and password on one dialog which goes directly to the MC screen is the way it used to work, and could work again. But, M$ doesn't want to do that for the java version I guess.

On a side note, my grandsons and I learned to play MC 10 years ago by watching MC YT videos by Paul Sores Jr, who stopped playing MC several years ago. With the release of MC 1.18 he's gotten the bug again and has a very nice series on "The Cave Life", his adventures in a hardcore map exploring a Lush Cave. The MC developers really created a winner with the Lush Cave, a really beautify, and dangerous, biome.

Hermitcraft's best season was season 6. With the excitement of 6 a lot of HC oldtimers, like Ethos, got back into the game as hermits. S7 was ok. S8 was short. For S9 they are moving their servers to MC 1.18.1 and have a whole new set of plans. May be interesting.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
            X