This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Always suggest a new name when copying files

When I copy a file into the same folder, a dialog appears where I can enter a new name of the copied file or it can suggests a new name. Am I missing something or there is no preferrence to always suggest s a new name, so it would just make a copy and not display any dialog? This is on Plasma 5.23.

The logic behind this is, well, logical. How can a programmer know what a users intent is when copy/pasting from/to the same location? What you are describing is/was a 50/50 condition. Either the user wanted to overwrite the file, or they wanted to create a new file. You can't have it both ways.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 19, 2022, 02:33 PM.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Actually, no. The dialog does not allow overwriting the current file (it would have no effect anyway). It will always create a new file. The only question is the name of it. And I would like to default to the file manager's suggestion always. As Nautilus, Nemo and I guess Caja does (and Explorer in Windows, if I remember correctly, but I might be wrong on that one).

Comment

Windows always creates a new file with some default naming scheme when the file you are copying to already exists. Linux does not do anything by default. It always asks you what you want to do, overwrite, rename or cancel.
        Attached Files

Comment

Right-click and choose duplicate here.
          or ctrl-d.
          The naming is a bit ugly, though.
          However, the naming scheme does not seem editable without digging into the source code, at least as far as I can tell.

Comment

No. I am not asking about copying a file to a different directory. I am asking about copying a file in the same directory. On Linux, this is DE dependent (and bash just throws a warning at you). Gnome does as windows does (sensibly, I think). KDE does ask byt does not let you overwrite the file. Folder View and Dolphin do this:
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
              Right-click and choose duplicate here.
              or ctrl-d.
              The naming is a bit ugly, though.
              However, the naming scheme does not seem editable without digging into the source code, at least as far as I can tell.
              Aha, duplicate will do then, that is even quicker than CTRL+C, CTRL+V. I was indeed missign something!

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                In the image you provided, from what GUI application did it come from?
                Both Dolphin and Folder view do this. But it is fine now that I know about the duplicate action. The only problem is Folder View does not have it, hence: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=448799

Comment

Working...
                X