pipewire versus pulseaudio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pipewire versus pulseaudio

m trying to decide if I should switch from pulseaudio to pipewire. I've had a few problems with my Bluetooth headphones. Furthermore, I want to play music over my Bluetooth hearing aids. I don't want to be on the bleeding edge. Is pipewire the safer choice?

bluetooth

Only way to know is to give it a go:
    https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-insta...n-ubuntu-linux

This how-to shows you how to revert back, if needed.

I have switched to it on my 20.04 (Neon) system, as I am running Wayland, and the easiest way for me (so far) to get screen recording support is via OBS and pipewire.
    I can't tell any difference, as I had no issues with any of my Bt audio devices, though I do see more audio options for my buds now.
    Last edited by claydoh; Jan 18, 2022, 12:31 PM.

Comment

When making changes, packages shouldn't be removed too quickly. Whenever possible. the unwanted packages should be deactivated or bypassed. Deletion can be done later.

Comment

For me personally, Pipewire works just as well as Pulse (I am not sure if there is any difference, I installed it to see if it would switch my outputs better but it did not and I had to make a script for that: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipew.../-/issues/1978

As for the link above, beware of the uninstall part:

Code:
        sudo apt remove gstreamer1.0-pipewire libpipewire-0.3-{0,dev,modules} libspa-0.2-{bluetooth,dev,jack,modules} pipewire{,-{audio-client-libraries,pulse,media-session,bin,locales,tests}}
        removed SDDM, I think, so I could not login graphically, so be careful when you run that.

Comment

If it is removing SDDM, then there is something wrong with the directions lol.

Comment

Working...
          X