Effects disabled in PulseEffects at launch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Effects disabled in PulseEffects at launch

An issue with PulseEffects showed up on my gaming/HTPC with the upgrade to Kubuntu 21.10.
    Whether I launch PulseEffects manually, or if it auto-starts at login, despite the plugins/effects I use showing as toggled on, they act like they're disabled.
    If I manually go through them one by one, and toggle them off then back on again, they work just fine (until next reboot).

A couple PulseEffects conversations I'm seeing around the web (for other distros) imply there could be problems with PipeWire.
    I haven't been paying attention to PipeWire too much. Is it a new default in 21.10, or was it also in 21.04? I didn't have PulseEffects issues in 21.04 or 20.04.
    Anybody know how to fix the issue? I'm not sure if the issue is with PulseEffects itself, so I'm reluctant to open an issue on their GitHub.
    Some Manjaro folks are uninstalling PipeWire for the time being, and just going back to legacy Pulse. I'm afraid of breaking my sound if I do that. If anyone could provide some advice, I'd be grateful.

Should I submit a bug report? If so, to whom?
    Last edited by bradleypariah; Oct 20, 2021, 07:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Are your presets here: ~/.config/PulseEffects/output

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=259900
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Should I submit a bug report? If so, to whom?
      To the pulseeffects people, I'd say

But to be sure, you would want to use a much more current version of the now-renamed EasyEffects (6.1.4) than the community-supported version 4.8.4 in Ubuntu. That is probably what the creators will say.
      And being community-supported in Ubuntu, you are less likely to find expertise on the topic.

This is one of those areas where trying a flatpak can be useful, at least for testing, as it is self contained, and has all the plugins, dependencies etc included.

https://github.com/wwmm/easyeffects

Do not compare what other distro users might do to what is appropriate in Ubuntu. Especially ones like Arch and Manjaro which are more 'cutting edge' system-wise. By nature they find all these sorts of buggies before us normal people, maybe reducing the number of them we have to suffer through

The version of pipewire in 21.10 is more than current enough for pulseeffects, but maybe it is too new for the ummm...less current version of pulseeffects that you have, perhaps?.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        you would want to use a much more current version of the now-renamed EasyEffects (6.1.4)
        Thanks! I had actually never heard of EasyEffects. I enabled Flathub on my system and installed 6.1.4. It's buggy sometimes (eg. - I have to quit a music application and restart it for the changes I've made to the EQ to take effect).
        Also, it won't launch at startup. I've added it to System Settings > Startup & Shutdown > Autostart > +Add > +Add Application.

Doesn't work.

When I toggle on the switch in-app that says, "Start Service At Login," it adds an application called "com.github.wwmm.easyeffects" to the Autostart list, but that doesn't do anything either.
        I've rebooted several times. EasyEffects never starts on its own.

I have tried Desktop Session > When logging in > "Restore previous saved session" and "Start with an empty session." Neither have any effect on EasyEffects.

Does this have something to do with it being a Flatpak? PulseEffects always auto-started. I don't get it.
        Last edited by bradleypariah; Oct 21, 2021, 07:11 PM.
        Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
        Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Disregard my previous question. I got the Flatpak to autostart by following the first response here:
          https://unix.stackexchange.com/quest...-3-auto-starts

The weird thing is, it does not launch with a window. It's definitely working at startup, I can positively hear my EQ & compression, but the app window just doesn't show on any of my desktops.
          This is fine with me I guess, because I rarely need to adjust anything, and if I do, I can always just launch the application. It's just weird is all. I'm fairly certain it's not supposed to act that way.

Oh well. I really appreciate the reference to EasyEffects.

Comment

Working...
          X