Install Kubuntu 21.10 from DVD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Install Kubuntu 21.10 from DVD

Are you guys able to install Kubuntu 21.10 from DVD?
    I tried on 2 different PCs.
    On one of them, I get a black screen with the mouse after about 5 min of reading the DVD.

On the other PC, I once had a black screen and no mouse and the other time, it showed a bunch of text with the final line
    [FAILED] Failed to start Ubuntu live CD installer.lelocally.

This seems similar to the problem with Kubuntu 21.04
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/78091-Kubuntu-21-04-fails-to-install/page3

I think that many experienced users here are going to tell you to avoid trying to do a Kubuntu install from a DVD. Use a USB thumb drive instead.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

It shouldn't make a difference USB or DVD. Maybe the ISO is bad, try downloading again and make sure checksum is good.

Comment

I’m pretty sure there is a problem with the installer. It was my experience, and other people’s experience with 21.04.
        So, it is probably the same bug that has persisted into the newer release.
        I don’t see why the bug should not be fixed.
        Last edited by vanadiumboy; Oct 25, 2021, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Well I made a DVD of Kubuntu 2.10 on 23.Oct.2021. I opted for the "normal" install, got a blank screen. Retried with "Safe Graphics" version, also a blank screen.

Hit ALT-F2, got a getty prompt, logged in using "kubuntu/<null>" got a normal shell full screen.

typed startx

Got a GUI, chose the install kubuntu option from menus......lots of wurring ...finally logged me off.

Logged back. Install looked to have completed, selected "reboot now"

System went most of the way through shutdown, but the hung at poweroff

Hit the big red switch

System cam up just fine, don't think it even had to do an fsck(8)

Comment

Maybe a DVD install should "just work", most of the time it just doesn't.

A USB based installer does install. There very few cases where it doesn't. Can I explain it? No. I would strongly recommend going with positive experience. Save time and aggravation.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
            X