X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MULTI BOOT] Looking to uninstall

Hope this is the right place to ask...

I went through the process of trying to install Kubuntu 21.10 a while back. Suffice to say, things didn't precisely work. I'm interested in trying again, but first is to clean up the previous try.

This was some time ago, so I'll try to remember what I can. My system runs Windows 10, and that is running fine at the moment. When I did the install, if I remember correctly, I did it from a bootable USB flash drive. I also picked the option to try the install alongside Windows 10. I remember it saying that Kubuntu would run similar to a standard desktop application.

What I have now is, every time I boot Windows, a DVD drive gets automatically mounted labeled "Kubuntu 21.10 am". This drive seems to be linked to the ISO in my Downloads folder. I also have a record in the Windows boot manager for Kubuntu. That I have managed to route around a bit by just shorting the time it waits before the system starts.

I'm curious if anyone knows a little bit more about the installation process or can point me in a better direction for trying to remove the remnants so I can start from Square 1 again on the attempted install. To me, that means clearing the DVD drive and getting the Windows Bootloader back to it's original setting.

Thanks for any direction you can provide.

Did you actually create an HD partition in which you installed Kubuntu? And, did you ever boot into and run Kubuntu?

A method of removing a Ubuntu based distro from Win10's boot manger is here.

After you remove Kubuntu you can recapture the HD space it took, if any.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I suggest writing a Jammy iso to a USB, and booting it to "Try Kubuntu", and running the partition manager to see how your storage is partitioned. Or, running windows "Disk Management" might give the same information, IIRC. Then you can plan what to do next, perhaps after posting the layout here.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        Did you actually create an HD partition in which you installed Kubuntu? And, did you ever boot into and run Kubuntu?
        No, and No. I do believe the system was trying to use the virtual DVD drive as the OS partition and was expecting the Data drive to need to be mounted. I never got into Kubuntu, so I was never able to confirm. It always hung during startup.

Originally posted by jlittle
        I suggest writing a Jammy iso to a USB, and booting it to "Try Kubuntu", and running the partition manager to see how your storage is partitioned. Or, running windows "Disk Management" might give the same information, IIRC. Then you can plan what to do next, perhaps after posting the layout here.
        Thumbnail attached. No sign of Linux partitions on the drive. As I mentioned, I recall the installer saying it would run like any other application, not as a true dual boot system.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is the DVD containing the ISO still in the CDROM drive? If it is then eject it and reboot. If it is not, then edit the Win10 boot manager and remove the Kubuntu listing.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

There is no DVD drive. It's mounted virtually to the ISO in my downloads folder. I have no idea what program is mounting it, I believe that was done by the installer. I've tried ejecting the disk/unmounting, and it automatically remounts.

Comment

Based on the OPs screenshot, Kubuntu isn't installed 'alongside' Windows. It's inside Windows, on Windows Drive D: Note the File System of CDFS.
              Last edited by Snowhog; Jun 06, 2022, 10:40 AM.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                Based on the OPs screenshot, Kubuntu isn't installed 'alongside' Windows. It's inside Windows, on Windows Drive D: Note the File System of CDFS.
                That is likely just the ISO image being auto-mounted, not installed --see the size matching the size of the ISO. I have no idea how Windows might be doing this automatically, or how to stop it, but Windows definitely can mount ISO images natively, at least manually.
                Last edited by claydoh; Jun 06, 2022, 11:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kingerthethird View Post
                  When I did the install, if I remember correctly, I did it from a bootable USB flash drive. I also picked the option to try the install alongside Windows 10. I remember it saying that Kubuntu would run similar to a standard desktop application.
                  This would be the old WUBI tool, that does run an instance of Ubuntu from within Windows, sorta. This tool has not been included on the ISO since 2013, though it is still available as an independent project.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                    That is likely just the ISO image being auto-mounted, not installed --see the size matching the size of the ISO.
                    But notice that in the screenshot provided, there is NOTHING Kubuntu except for the drive D:. Kubuntu isn't installed IMO; it's being mounted from the D: drive and run 'live'? It isn't installed.

Comment

So, with what everyone wrote ... it appears that the thing to do is delete the ISO file and use the driive manager to delete the "D:", perhaps requiring you to re-install the CDROM driver? I haven't used Windows to any extent, except to replace folks WInX with Kubuntu, since I retired in 2008. So, take what I write with a large dose of salt.

Comment

The ISO is currently locked by whatever program is mounting the disk.

Only thing I can think of for deleting the ISO is to do it while windows isn't running, then look for the program that throws an error at startup (I managed to find a live Kubuntu disk I can use and I have a portable DVD drive). I'd prefer to do things from INSIDE Windows, but if there are no other ideas...

Comment

As Drive D: only has the Kubuntu ISO on/in it, you could simply delete the drive D: partition.

See https://www.windowscentral.com/how-d...ion-windows-10 and scroll down to Delete partition with an assigned drive letter

Comment

D is not recognized as a partition. It's a standalone virtual drive linked to the ISO. If I eject the disk, it automatically remounts. Don't know what program is doing the mounting, it was setup during the installation.

Comment

Originally posted by kingerthethird View Post
                              Don't know what program is doing the mounting, it was setup during the installation.
                              The installation of what? The ISO image is designed to be 'burned' to a USB (or DVD) using a tool like Rufus or similar utility, and booted from in order to install the OS, much like you would with a fresh install of Windows. The is no exe file on the image to run inside of Windows, or to install from within Windows, or to mount the iso in Windows like you are experiencing.

You probably need to describe whatever installation steps you took, and specific applications used.

Comment

Working...
                              X