Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Trying to install a proprietary nvidia-driver

Hello,
    I am trying to install the nvidia340-108 driver for continued support of my (very) old laptop graphics card (NVIDIA G98M [GeForce 9300M GS]). After adding the respective PPA (kelebek333-ubuntu-nvidia-legacy-impish.list) I run the command mentioned there for installing it (sudo apt install nvidia340). This should install the driver. It starts off alright, but then tells me to load dvd »Kubuntu 21.10 _Impish Indri_ - Release amd64 (20211012)« and then press "enter".
    I did of course download and then burn he image for Kubuntu 21.10. But - inserting this DVD into the cdrom device (which is of course recognized by the operating system!), this message keeps being displayed. Are there additional DVDs to burn?
    Inspecting the burned DVD I can see a "small" difference, i.e.
    the requested DVD supposedly has the name: »Kubuntu 21.10 _Impish Indri_ - Release amd64 (20211012)«,
    whereas looking at the DVD itself I see that it seems to be called ./.disk/info:1:Kubuntu 21.10 "Impish Indri" - Release amd64 (20211012).
    Please note the '_' vs. the ' " ' in the string.
    Any hints are of course very appreciated...
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 24, 2022, 01:33 PM.

For some reason your setup is asking for the ISO image or disk, which is optional, and normally is not enabled (as it is not usually useful these days)
    Use the Software Sources tool found in Discover's Settings area to disable the CD/DVD entry there, and try again. It normally is the topmost entry in the Other Software tab.
    Or comment it out in the /etc/apt/sources.list

Last edited by claydoh; Jan 24, 2022, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Thanks a lot! That sounds like a very good hint! It worked! Whether the driver actually works flawlessly under kernel 5.15 is still to be seen.
      So far - so good! No negative experiences. I hope 340-108 will keep being supported by PPA Kelebek333.
      Thanks again!
      Last edited by hstoellinger; Jan 25, 2022, 04:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X